We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
449 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

I've booked a 2 day motorbike tour with Toan in early November. I was originally thinking to stay at Limestone View Homestay and have Toan show us Ninh Binh. I really wanted to experience the area vs. visiting sites, besides An Trang, if that makes sense. But in Toan's email he offered to do a 2 day of Pu Luong as an alternative. I love the idea of Pu Luong and being off the beaten path, but that Ninh Binh might be logistically easier. Also, we only want to do limited trekking as neither of us tolerate humidity well.

Here is the timeline

Day 1 - Private transfer Halong Bay after 2 day cruise to Ninh Binh or Pu Luong

Day 2 - Tour w Toan Ninh Binh or Pu Long

Day 3 - Tour w Toan Ninh Binh or Pu Long private transfer to HAN for 10pm flt to DAD

I'd love some thoughts and advice!

8 replies to this topic
Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

"Which Toan" is your guide to Pu Long ?

Because several "fake" Toans who stole real Tona's name and credit like many fake Sinh Cafe(those are former name and changed to fake" The Sinh Tourist"now--(i.e.) "The Sinh Cafe Tourists" in Ha Noi.

Now there are increasing

many foreign tourists who want to go to Ninh Binh, Pu Luong area so no wonder the appearance of them is because fake symtoms are incurable deseases in Vietnam.

But aside from these things, the beauty of nature in Ninh Binh and Pu Luong have never changed and have no difference by "guide" so depending on one Toan too much for all time is not good because many traveloers who go to Ninh Binh , Pu Luong don't know who "real Toan" is!

Edited: 18 June 2017, 03:30
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
449 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

Thank you for your concern, but I have booked with "the real Toan" whether it be Toan1 or Toan2, they both have received good reviews.

I'd just like some insight on which to choose Ninh Binh or Pu Luong, given the details in my post.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

Depends on how keen you are to hike and off the beaten trail...

early November I think is the tail end of the rice harvest season so if you're lucky then Pu Luong is going to be stunning with their golden rice fields. Plus it's actually quite nice hiking weather too around then (we hiked in April in mid 30's (celsius) temp and it's not great if you don't like the heat)

Your issue is time. We got a transfer from Hanoi to Pu Luong by car and it look about 5 hours. If you're coming from HB it's going to be even longer, so you probably won't get to Pu Luong until late afternoon. Then on day 3 it will also take you 5 hours to get back to Hanoi so you'd have to leave Pu Luong in the early afternoon to make the flight.

If you haven't booked the flight to DAD then you might want to look at getting Toan to drop you off at Ninh Binh at teh end of the tour, then take an overnight train to Danang?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

I'm not sure there will be much rice left in November. They were well into harvest in early October three years ago, when we were in Ninh Binh.

I doubt very much that you'd be able to get to Pu Luong on the day your cruise finishes. Ninh Binh will be fine, but even then you won't get there till at least 6.00pm.

If Trang An is a must, then you'll need to keep your tour to NB.

If not, and Toan thinks he can give you a good taste of Pu Luong in two days, then go for it.

I think regardless of your choice, you'll have a great time.

And Toan can certainly show you more 'sights', than sites, if that's what you're after.

Cheers,

Scott

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
449 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

Thanks for the feedback Tofu & Scott

I agree, time is definitely the issue. Ninh Binh makes more sense logistically. Sticking to Ninh Binh gives us more time on the ground vs. traveling I'd rather not take the night train as it doesn't arrive in Danang until 12:20, so that is a half day lost in Hoi An.

The main plus of Pu Luong is there should still be rice, or it will be during the harvest, whereas in Ninh Bihn it will just be muddy fields.

Leaning towards Ninh Binh, but still a little torn

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

Harvest will be done with in both places, but the beauty remains.

If you want ease of traveling, you know which one to pick.

Cheers,

John

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
449 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

You're right John. I misread Toan's email about Pu Luong being better to see rice terraces, as meaning rice would still be in the field.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong

If you like the look of Limestone View, go for it.

Go to the satellite view on Google map and then check out the photos of Ninh Xuân ward.

https://goo.gl/maps/27eZkiApYy72

You can see a number of restaurants nearby, so you have options.

Also, lots of country side around for trekking or biking if you want to.

Early November should be pleasant enough, usually.

Cheers,

John

Reply to: Ninh Binh vs. Pu Luong
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted