We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E Visa

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
885 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
E Visa

This was posted on an expat page today.

From the 1st Feb 2017 (TBC), Vietnam will finally introduce the E-visa!

No longer will you have to apply through an agent to get the invitation letter or queue at the airport immigration to receive your visa upon arrival. With this evolution, travellers are able to apply, pay and receive the visa directly from Vietnamese authority through an online portal site (https://visa.mofa.gov.vn).

The whole process will be implemented entirely online. Applicants must have a passport with at least six-month validity. Processing time is three days after payment once your application is approved. The visa will be sent to your email in a PDF file.

At the airport you'll need to show these documents to enter the country:

The printed visa.

Your travel/business schedule in Vietnam.

Health insurance during your trip in Vietnam.

*Further details like pricing and how immigration will handle the crossover for those who have already applied and paid for an agent VOA (or plan to travel in the first few days of Feb) will be announced over the coming weeks.

For now, bookmark this - the official government website for all E-Visa applications from the 1st Feb 2017.

299 replies to this topic
1. Re: E Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2017, 01:35
Edited: 10 January 2017, 01:35

Folsom, CA
Level Contributor
85 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: E Visa

How does one show "Health insurance during your trip in Vietnam".?? Showing my health insurance card?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: E Visa

No Keith, it means travel insurance documents that show you're covered for emergency medical care, including hospitalisation and surgery.

Cover for evacuation and repatriation is wise too as hospitals in Vietnam are unable to deal with some serious cases so evacuation to Thailand/Singapore or repatriation to the claimant's home country can be necessary.

Folsom, CA
Level Contributor
85 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: E Visa

Well that's easy.

Thanks.

KC

Colorado
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: E Visa

Looks like much simpler process.

Yes it would be wise to have insurance and proof of such while on trip.

This process may grow total travelers to over 10 million this year.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,086 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: E Visa

Travel schedule? Do I need to print out my itinerary threads from TA? I hope it will not too much of a paperwork process. - as this would def make it less interesting.

Will VOA be gone for good as well?

And regarding proof of insurance, Cuba had that for a while now. You actually required a letter from the insurance. I wonder what is expected for Vietnam.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: E Visa

Will this replace VOA posses or just simplify certain embassy issued passport visas?

I prefer getting my visa before hand at present but many do VOA purely to save on the cost,. I presume the e visa will just be an authority to fly/enter Vietnam with visa stamp given/ decided at vietnam passport control similar to the ESTA system for USA?

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: E Visa

We are family of 6 and thinking of doing the E visa for when when we go at end of June. I have looked at link and forms and I where it say apply and pick up does that mean where they will be processed?

england
Level Contributor
693 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: E Visa

Hi

I tried the link but it didn't seem to go anywhere

Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: E Visa

The link above is for visa upon arrival.

If you want to apply for an e-visa you need to go here: https://immigration.gov.vn/

Reply to: E Visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted