We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand in Off season

Wellington
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand in Off season

What's the main reason June-October is the "off season"? I'm planning a trip for myself and a few friends for my 21st in June and Thailand is currently my international place of choice for this. I have been asking around people I know and some say it's perfectly fine and others say that June is "absolutely horrible" in Thailand and rains constantly with insane 'wannablowyourbrainsout' humidity.

Also, I'm wanting to be all touristy and ride elephants, jet skis, play with monkeys, scuba dive etc, but also live it up in the pubs and clubs. Is Patong beach (Phuket) the place to be?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand in Off season

Hi brad...I was in Phuket last may for 14 nights and we had about 8days of rain..Still worth a visit in my opinion...You might wont to consider Koh samui as their weather patterns are differant from patong..Thailand might be considered off season or low season because its High season in Europe.Check out some annual rainfall charts..Full moon party would be ok..

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand in Off season

We love going to Phuket in off season. We have never had a problem with the weather, the sun still shines, you still get burnt, yes it rains, sometimes with big storms in the afternoon, but it has never stopped us doing anything. This year we will be back for 2 months in June and July.

Maybe we have been lucky so far but it has vever rained every day of our holiday.

Have a look at my pages below for info on all the "touristy things" with photos and prices.

Cathy

www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com

Mackay, Tropical...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand in Off season

Hi Brad,

My sister and I visited Patong Beach for 6 nights last July - the place to be, it's pumpin'. We had great weather, only got wet once during the day. I think I might be lucky though I walked the Milford Track last April and had to jump in a puddle at the end of the treck so I could say I got my boots wet!

If you are booking tourist things may I suggest that you book them early in your visit in case there is some adverse weather and you have to rebook.

We did a Canoe Cave Exlplorer with Tour East and were really ,really well looked after. One advantage to travelling in low season is that there are not too many other tourists. On our tour there was my sister and myself and a couple from Germany. Good ratio of staff to passanger. Food on the boat was great and heaps of it.

Tour East also do other tours, maybe u can get a discount for a multiple booking. We booked ours through our Motel (Horizon Beach, great) but there are also little stalls out the front of some resturants that sell tours also.

We are heading back but only for a o/n stay on a boat cruise in late June, so I was not put off. It will be what you make it.

Enjoy your trip, love your part of the world

Cheers

Michelle

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand in Off season

We are planning our tip for July.

We did find this weatherpage. here you can read quite detailed weathers month by month (almost daily basis!).

http://www.alexmalcolm.net/weather.html

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand in Off season

That is the low season but weather varies from one part of Thailand to another, Gulf islands and beaches at least through until Spetember or early october have good weather, Samui and other places are very busy July through september because of the good weather.

If you want to do the touristy things then Phuket or Samui.

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand in Off season

How about Koh Chang?

I have heard that the climate over there is very rainy in July?

But in Pattaya the weather is much better...

Is the rainy climate of Koh Chang beacause it is an island?

Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand in Off season

We too are planning to visit in off season, mid May. Will we have any trouble getting around from one island to the next and are most hotels, etc. still open?

Thanks,

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
490 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand in Off season

Hi everyone.

We were in Phuket June/july 05 and had a gret time.

A little cloud every day, perfect for me, kept the sting out of the sun but didn't stop you from enjoying the pool/beach. Got a great tan and found fantastic fruit in season, including mangoes!!!

I had one day where it poured for about an hour but apart from that not much rain - only at night.

The hotels were cheaper.

The food and beer was the same!!!

We went to Phi Phi for 5 days, perfect sunshine for the entire time.

Stayed at Erewan Palms resort and had the place to ourselves - what a nice place too.

Apparently the seas are rough this time of year - there were a couple of folk reaching for the sea sickness bag on the boat over to Phi Phi, on the boat back, flat as a tack!!

The smaller islands and resorts had closed down so there was not many options to get away from Patong.

This was only 6 months after the tsunami so aybe the fact that many of the smaller islands didn't have their hotel was also probably a factor.

The water at Patong beach did not seem as blue as the brochures, but do they ever??

The surf at Patong was also classed as being a bit rough - again a trait of the of season.

I think it is just the luck of the draw - don't be put off, your holiday is what you make of it.

Brett

9. Re: Thailand in Off season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 11:48