We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

Pune, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

Hello, We are a young couple from India and wish to spend about 2 nights in Thailand. We do not want to be near very crowded places and away from red-light areas and also are not looking for the standard Beach and Beer places (We have been to Goa, India and dont wish a repeat of beach and beer).

So with the above requirements, which place would be better Pattaya or Phuket? Or are there are any other places, that are not very much commercialized.

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,961 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

Neither Paatay or Patong on Phuket meets your criteria but there are many places in Thailand that may. However, you need to say when you are thinking of going as the weather is different in different locations depending on the Monsoon season. You also need to say what you DO like as well as what you DO NOT as different locations offer different attractions, either natural or man-made.

Also 2 nights is basically only 1 full day so you won'twant to spend too much time in transfers. So if you are arriving into Bangkok airport you may find Hua Hin appeals to you. It is only 3 hours by road from Bangkok and you can find plenty of information and members ready to give you advice on the forum at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g297922-i9453-Hu…

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

Phuket - perhaps Karon, Nai Harn, Kata beaches. :)

London
Level Contributor
81 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

If you are not looking for beach and beer, as you said, a bit unsure why you are even contemplating pattaya or phuket ?! Neither will be fitting your bill..

Rather you can try Bangkok and nearby places like Kanchanaburi to see Kwai..or may be Chaing Mai. But all depends when you are planning your trip, cos weather may be a deciding factor.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

For 2 nights only I wouldn't bother with the hassle of getting to either of those places and would just check out Bangkok and surrounds -2 nights is not long enough even for Bangkok, do you mean 2 weeks by chance?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

Hua Hin is awesome for peace and relaxing times, nice beaches and good food, only a handful of girlie type bars, but tucked away in side streets. 2 nights isn't really long enough tho as the travelling time from Bkk and back again will eat up into your holiday. And if you choose Phuket try Bang Tao/ Surin / Kamala areas. Sue

6. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 March 2012, 20:35
Pune, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

Thank you guys!

Yesterday as I was typing, we did not have the final dates. We have finalized The dates - last weekend of April. April 28 to May 1 - it is still a short trip.

We are looking for a place that in three days or so, we can explore some bits of the historical and the cultural glory of Thailand. Anything like forts, temples, unique forest parks (preferable near - 2 hr drive - a beach :-) ).

We are not looking for the very crowded beaches, concrete malls.

Thanks for the suggestion for Hua Hin, I will do some research on this place.

Also, how easily can we rent a two-wheeler? Do we need International driving license, or holding a valid driving license in home-country would suffice?

Our preference would to stay at a good place, take a two-wheeler and drive around the places to discover places of must-see areas.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

Then Chiang Mai mìght be a better option for you if you're not interested in a beach location.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

If you want a mix of beach + history, culture, national parks, floating markets, night markets etc, over the water dining, temples, sights and attractions then Hua Hin may well suit you, 2.5 hrs by taxi / limo or 3 hrs by express train ( other trains take longer ), 3 hrs 15 by a/c bus.

2 national parks within 1 hour.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is better Pattaya or Phuket?

On account of your comments about Goa, I am assuming that you must have gone to Calangute, Candolim or Baga. Since you presumably had access to 'two wheels' there and didn't seem adjourn to the very diffent ambience about an hour south (Goa is a tiny state in India for those who don't know about it), I think that Thai beach resorts will probably not be your cup of tea either. I visit Goa annually, sometimes more, but stay in very quiet places far away from the packaged charter holiday and domestic tourist destinations! We have stayed twice in Hua Hin (well, the Holiday Inn Cha Am which is about 10 miles along the road and quietly situated, easy to get into Hua Hin in the evening or during the day). It is a good place, busier than the sort of places I like in Goa, but it has it's own serenity and it quite a classy resort, possibly because of its royal connections. The fish restaurants there are almost worth the trip! Personally, don't think you should bother with the beach for such a short trip - Bangkok will keep you occupied. Temples and Royal Palace, roof top drinks at the Sirocco Bar for amazing nighttime (concrete!) city views, a river and canal trip, the Jim Thompson house and a very nice traditional coffee in its grounds. Forget hiring a scooter though - in such a limited time, consider booking some organised sightseeing through the hotel travel desk. I am a very adventurous traveller, but find that in major cities with very limited time available that these can offer a well organised and informative insight into the place. If you have a spare day (unlikely on you short trip), you may want to consider one of those full day trips up to the River Kwai near the Burmese border for some history and contemplation.

Chiang Mai is brilliant, all temples and culture. If you were to decide to go there, Book internal flights that dovetail with your existing flights. It's a lovely small city and I could walk around the old moated city for ever and never get fed up!