We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear, What to pack

Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear, What to pack

Hello, i have tried to do a search on this forum of what to wear/Pack.

We are in phuket for the most of our time but also travelling to bangkok and KL for a couple days each.

I am a size 16 so i am not sure if i am going to be able to find clothes over there and want to make sure i pack sufficient clothing.

I was planning on just taking dress shorts, shorts, swimmers etc. But after reading some posts on here, i am thinking i should maybe take a pair of jeans/long black pants and a dressier shirt? And shoes?

If someone could please let me know what they packed, or what they wish they did pack etc it would be greatly appreciated. Leaving in 15 days and counting! :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear, What to pack

Hi Mandimoo, It does get very hot over there so light clothes as you have stated will be fine. In bangkok if you go to the palace you will have to wear long pants or skirt & dressy shirt with sleeves & no sandles at the palace. Other times shorts & sandles are fine however they do wear smart casual at night. Phuket is very casual you can get away with serongs there. The only shoes i wear in Phuket are thongs & sandles. The clothes are small sizes i'm a 14 & have to really shop around to find something, Phuket town Robinsons & Oceans & markets across the road are good & there is air conditioning also. I always pack too much & come home with an extra suitcase..can't help my self. Laundries can take 24 hours. Its only night time that you might want to dress up. Have a great holiday & enjoy the shopping.CJ

sydney australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear, What to pack

Hi Mandymoo, I'm a size 16 too, and visit Thailand every year. I can assure you that you'll have trouble finding clothes. The department stores are your best bet. The street stalls have big t-shirts which are really cheap, especially if you bargain, but the quality can be variable. Central is a good department store, also for shoes. I buy all of my skin care stuff in Thailand as they have the same brands (Garnier, Nivea etc) for half to a third of what we pay here. They also have Yves Rocher, which is great value. Silver jewellery is also cheap there. You won't have trouble buying a suitvase worth of stuff! We always take a spare bag.

I wouldn't take jeans, as they are too hot. A pair of black pants would be a good idea because you can wear them out at night to a nice restaurant, and also to the temple/palace.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear, What to pack

Hi Mandimoo

For Phuket:

Beach Wear / short & Quarter pants / T-shirt or without shirt (That wat I saw ^__^, when the sun is scorching HOT). Flip Flop & Sander.

For Bangkok & KL:

Polo Shirt / T-Shirt / Short & Quarter Pants.

Flip Flop & Sander.

For Bangkok, if u are going to the Temple, do dress appropriately (T-shirt / Polo Shirt with long Pants (Not necessarily Jean but Kaki or Multi Pocket pants is good) with Sander NO Flip Flop.

U can get lots of Cheap T-shirt with your size in Phuket (Patong) and bangkok. Quality of the shirt different from the Street Market to the big Department Store (Central & Robinson). And remember to bargain at the street Market). Especially if U are going to James Bond Island Tour & U like to purchase the Pearl necklace there, the sales people also tell U 850 Baht, bargain it down to 80 or 100 Baht, if she say no, just walk off, she will definitely call U back and agree to the price U want. ^___^.

It is not necessarily to wear Long pant to restaurant, a Quarter Pants with polo or T-shirt is good enuff.

Hope this helps

Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear, What to pack

Thank you all so much for your advice and help.

First time to Thailand, and so much to think about.

I am disappointed that i won't be able to buy many clothes (as they are a hobby of mine) hehe.. but anyway.. that is ok.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear, What to pack

Hi Mandimoo, there are plenty of beads earings bangles to go with your hobby & they are very cheap. CJ

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear, What to pack

Mandimoo, l am a size 10 and l couldnt get anything to fit me over there. Their skirts for sale in size large didnt fit over my knees. So dont expect to buy any clothes or shoes as they are small Asian sizes, not made for westerners. But dont worry, there is so many othere things to shop for you wont be dissapointed!! Cheers.

the netherlands
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear, What to pack

chukkiejelly are there special places where you can get beads. I make necklace etc do you have an adres in bangkok or phuket for me thank you Micky

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear, What to pack

Hi Mammerloan, the beads i was referring to are already made up. When over there start up conversation with locals & ask them if they know where you can buy them. We have found out about so many places by speaking to the locals.The girls at the bars are very helpful they will let you know all the cheap places to buy jewellery.There was a night market at Phuket town which a local took us to & the jewellery was VERY cheap. It was on Fri & Sat nights. CJ

Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear, What to pack

A size 16 here, too. From the posts, I have decided that looking for clothes will be a bust. But, regarding the beads...you can always buy necklaces with the beads you want, and simply redo the style to fit your own. I have done that with jewelry purchased in Mexico, and they turned out fabulously! Besides, the buyer/giftee of YOUR piece will never know! Just a thought. Man, I can't wait to go to Phuket...!!!