We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest place to keep passport etc

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Safest place to keep passport etc

Its so sad to read things like don't trust your passport, money etc in motel safe. Could someone please advise where is the safest place. I'm guessing carry it around with you all the time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

G'day Julz,

No carry your passport with you is not the best idea if you lose or bag then its lost the motel safe should be fine but if that is going to stress you out then see if your hotel has a safe deposit facility where 2 keys are required to open the box .

But honestly dont stress too much about things I use room safes many many times a year ..your stressing about nothing ....Also make some color photocopies of your passport page that has your details and carry one of those if you feel the need to .

Now stop stressing and look forward to your holiday .

Cheers

Lozza and Mrs Lozza

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

I keep mine in the hotel safe, and for the cheaper hotels that do not have safes I keep in the deposit boxes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

Hi, I agree with Lozza, we put our passports in our room safe. Wouldn't dream of carrying it around with me. I always just have a photocopy of my passport in the bottom of my luggage just in case. Never needed to use it though.

cheers

Viv

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

Cut and paste from the FAQ'S on right

Carrying Your Passport: It is required by Thai law that Thai citizens AND all visitors MUST carry proper identification at all times. This must be presented upon demand by a Police Officer or other legitimate Government Official.

NB: It is not always safe, practical or appropriate to carry your physical passport on you at all times. Passports are a very valuable commodity that can be the target of theft and are very expensive to replace while overseas. Consider keeping your passport locked in your room safe or the primary hotel safe at the reception desk while at each destination.

Do make several photocopies of your passports photo/details page, as well as the stamped arrivals card that is stapled in your passport that you received when entering Thailand. Carry these copies with you in your day-pack. These will assist in establishing your identity and immigration status when you don't have your physical passport on you.

Also consider making a colour scanned copy and having it laminated. If you produce that to an Official when required to, in many cases this will satisfy the identification requirement, or at least suffice until your actual passport can be collected from your accommodation for verification.

I just leave mine in the hotel safe and carry a copy, never had to produce it tho.

Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

The in room safes have always been safe for us. Smart Traveller (Aus Govt) recommends that you a.) have travel insurance (which would cover any costs associated) & b.) that you have a passport photo with you so that you can replace if needed in a hurry. Maybe have a look at the site to see what is recommended.

I am sure the risk of having your bag snatched or lost with all inside would be far greater than the risk of theft from the room or safe.

"Be alert, not alarmed" and enjoy your holiday.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

If you feel like a need to carry a passport around, make a copy of your passport instead.

Your passport can be kept at the safety deposit box inside your room or most of hotel provide the main safety deposit box at the reception area.

Have a wonderful holiday :)

Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

Like all the above have said, lock it in your room safe!!

We go over every year and have never been asked to produce identification whilst out... I find it interesting that some actually carry around copies... (I keep a copy hidden in my luggage) How many of you have been asked to produce such? IMO I don't think it's necessary or is it!?!

Waz

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

Hi Waz never been asked for id but I carry a copy in my wallet just in case of an accident ect.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

Same same here lock it in the safe. Like Lozza I have traveled to many places and have always used the room safe. Yes there have been reports from some about things been stolen from safes, but I sometimes wonder if on some of them if the people actually remembered to lock it when they left the room, very easy to do. You could think that you had and very easiy have not actually done that. Also make sure you pick a decent combination, not just your birthday. But something you can remember.

I have never carried my passport with me, there are way more reports of people losing their bags and things on the streets than in the safes.

Michelle

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,710 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safest place to keep passport etc

Safe would be the best bet. I wouldnt keep your dosh there simply too tempting.

If you carry your passport - easy for humidity to ruin it. Keep it in your hotel room unless you need to carry it for a specific reason.