We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

Pretoria
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

Has anybody exchanged Rands for THB in Patong before? If you are so lucky to be there currently, what is the current exchange rate. We will be leaving on 1 April for 17 days.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

You can check out our favourite exchange rate site for ZAR vs THB:

…daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

The current average (of the banks that exchange it) is 3.15 THB to the Rand.

…daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Do you remember the thread about this from last year? Wayne said he actually got as good or better rate IN South Africa. It's here;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k322…

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
513 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

Also living in SA and going to Thailand next month, so interested in this topic.

I always use www.xe.com as a guide to the exchange rate - it shows R1= Bht4.415 or Bht1000=R226.448.

Not sure if Thailand would want SAR so the exchange rate wouldn;t be great.

Last year we were in Vietnam and bought dollars (cheap at the moment) and changed them there and in Malaysia - got a good deal that way.

Hope that helps.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

Smurf59

We have bought some THB from Rennies yesterday and after all deductions got it for 4.1 THB to the Rand (just give us something to start with). We were in Thailand last year as well. We also used American Dollars until they were finished. Then we withdrew money on our credit cards and I still think that is giving the best exchange rate when you withdraw larger sums (Say R2000) at a time. Unfortunately we could not compare the two on a "one day to a next day" basis, because of the fluctuations of the ZAR from day to day.

How is you itenarary look like. We (2 couples) are going to Bangkok from 1-6 April and then to Phuket until 17 April.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

you're welcome.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
513 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

Hi KANPretoria

We are only leaving SA on the 23rd April, off to Koh Samui and Ko Tao with 3 nights in BAngkok at the end of the trip.

Haven't been to Thailand since 2006 so looking forward to seeing if much has changed.

Probably won't be as cheap as it used to be with our exchange rate.

Enjoy your holiday.

Fiona

Pretoria
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

Smurf 59

Maybe not as cheap as before but still a lot cheaper than locally an a lot of fun.

See that you were in Vietnam last year. How does that compare in price with Thailand (hotels, etc)? My son played chess there in the World Youth Championships in 2008, but cannot help me with that info as he was so involved with the chess that he missed the rest. I also think they overcharged us on hotels, etc as the chess association there booked all the hotels. They were in VungTau. Vietnam is on my "to visit" list.

Kannies

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
513 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

Hi Kannies

Vietnam could be dirt cheap if you wanted backpacker type accommodation but we went for a better hotel that cost us about R1600 per night for 3 people, as our adult daughter came with. We were only in Ho Chi Minh but did a day trip to the Mekong Delta and also the Cu Chi Tunnels. I really enjoyed it but it was very chaotic - hubbie isn't interested in returning, prefering Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, both being more western than Asian. We've been to Malaysia twice in the last two years and absolutely loved it. Went to Langkawi and Penang on the west coast and Perhentian islands on the east coast and they were all stunning places to visit.Even thinking of retiring there one day!

Hotel prices seem to be on par with what Thailand is charging and street food is very cheap, so also a good destination for South Africans.

9. Re: Exchange cash South African Rand (ZAR) for THB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 11:04