We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

Hello, im planning on stopping over at Pattaya for a few nights on my journey from Bangkok to Ko Chang.

Ive heard that the water isnt good for swimming around Pattaya, is this true? because im on a budget its unlickly i can afford a hotel with a pool and i was hopping to get started on my beach relaxing part of my thai trip.

So is it recomended to swim in Pattaya? (I'll be there end october time)

Also i may as well ask if anyone can recomend a decent, cheap place to stay for a solo backpacker?

Thanks, Chris.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

If you need hotel advice begin with telling us what you want to spend on a room.

Most tourists do not swim at Pattaya Beach. They do shop, sunbathe, visit bars, restaurants and malls.

From Pattaya City to Jomtien it will cost 20 baht on a baht bus. You can swim at Jomtien Beach. (More hotel choices and other stuff in Pattaya City than Jomtien.)

It will cost 30 baht to take a ferry to Koh Larn. You can swim at a beach there.

How much do you want to pay for "decent, cheap place" in Pattaya?

Lots of old posts with hotels in the 500 baht to 1000 baht range.

For Pattaya City get a hotel on or near Sai Song so you can walk to many things. Lots of cheap hotels on Soi Boukhaow.

thaiwaysmagazine.com/pattaya_map/pattaya_map…

Edited: 18 September 2012, 05:08
Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

If you swim in Pattaya you will only need a one way air ticket, drownings are high, strong rip, very few people swim there too dangerous. Save a little more and stay where there is a pool.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

Whether you choose to swim is up to you, some do, some don't

You can take the ferry to Koh Lan which is nearby island for B 30 ( US$ / AU$ 1 ) each way, or a return ferry direct to beaches on Koh Larn for THB 150 ( US$ / AU$ 5 ) for the return day trip

The Pattaya Water Park is THB 100 ( US$ / AU$ 3.30 ) per day for adults, cheaper for children.

This vieo shows beaches, Pattaya Water Park , Jomtien beach + Koh Larn beaches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICOdLY27cPQ

Hervey - where are you hearing about strong rip tides and drowning from ? Are you sure not confusing that with low season Phuket where rip tides can be a serious problem

Edited: 18 September 2012, 09:16
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

Sorry for typo : Koh Lan - read 'Koh Larn'

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

Some hotels, like the cheap Sawasdee at the corner of Soi Honey Inn and Soi Boukhaw, will sometimes let visitors swim in their pool for a fee. On the roof of the Mike Mall there is a pool that can be used for a small fee.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

Well, it kind of not a nice beach and you might don't feel like to swimming there.

I advise you to take boat to Koh Larn too, Nangrum beach in SatTaHip it's not far from Pattaya aswell.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 10:39
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

thanks for all the replys! that video was great too.

i like the idea of spending a few nights on ko larn niw but ive just had a quick look into places to stay and seems rather expencive, i dont know if anyone can suggest a budget place on ko larn? if not maby a day trip will do just fine for a relaxing beach day.

as for acomidation in pattaya my budget realy is tight, 500 baht would be pushing it over what i hope to pay! are there any hostels? im looking for somewere were i can meet other backpacking types. realy im looking for 300 baht region.

thanks again, chris

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

No convenient hostels in Pattaya area. On Buakaow you can find some hotels for 500 baht with A/C and private toilet plus TV. But probably not around Christmas and New Years holidays unless you are there for a long period.

New Star Hotel. Soi Honey Inn. Fan only room. Across from Intown Holiday Hotel - around 250-350 baht per night.

Jom House on Sai Song. Near Tim Bar, close to Avenue Mall. Convenient location! Across from Lek Hotel where you can buy "all you can eat" breakfast.

Around 200-300 baht for fan only room.

Sawasdee Sunshine Hotel on Soi Honey Inn might still have some cheap rooms available. (Might!)

http://www.sawasdee-hotels.com/index.html

You will probably meet more backpackers in Bangkok KSR. Many young tourists head for Koh Phangan or other island areas. Once you are away from Bangkok not so many hostels available. But the bus ride to Pattaya is around 124 baht and to get to island areas you must pay quite a bit more for transportation just to get there.

Borrow some money, get some cash from an ATM and go for a hotel that is closer to 600 baht.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

Accommodation on Koh Larn is basic and very quiet at night.

You can some great tips above, how much your spend depends on budget and what is low budget for some is different from others, so an idea of what your actual budget is helps a lot.

The Pattaya Water Park is only THB 100 entrance ( approx US$ 3.30 ) and that also has access to the beach, that is on the way into Jomtien.

10. Re: pattaya - swimming in the sea? ...& recomend a budget hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 09:49