We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Pattaya - ATV

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Rental Pattaya - ATV

Hi can anyone throw some light on ATV rentals for a day in Pattaya. what would be the cost / Hours. Can i book it for a day and take it to jomtien or any other location. One last thing hows the parking scene in Pattaya if at all i get a ATV for a Day.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

Yes you can rent them.

Yes some people ride them on the road.

Yes it's illegal, and you will pay if the local cops choose to shake you down and you won't have a leg to stand on.

Hire a car or a scooter if you must have your own wheels. Read the FAQ license requirements on the top right.

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

lol - did not know it was illegal anyways thanks mate for sharing the info..... But i saw quite a few videos of ppl doing local tour , how do they manage ?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

There are off road tours

http://atvtourspattaya.com/tours.htm

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,811 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

Local baht bus rides in Pattaya City are only 10 baht.

(This is a baht bus that you wave over and just get on.) Push bell or buzzer to stop baht bus and pay 10 baht. If you need a change of direction get a new baht bus going in that direction.

Besides the legal problems of driving without an international license, there are some monetary considerations for scratches to bikes, accidents, etc.

From Pattaya City to Jomtien Beach by baht bus - I pay 20 baht. This is a baht bus that fills up near the corner of Sai Song and South Pattaya Road. For return get a similar baht bus. (Sort of across from the police station Jomtien but next to a Seven Eleven type store.)

thaiwaysmagazine.com/pattaya_map/pattaya_map…

thaiwaysmagazine.com/pattaya_map/pattaya_map…

Local travel agencies in Pattaya have all sorts of tours you can check out.

Edited: 26 December 2011, 18:51
Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
364 posts
1,055 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

I've often rented ATVs in Pattaya (there's a company renting them out when you come down the hill from Jomtien towards 2nd street, right before the turn to Bali Hai Harbor - on the left side) & I was driving them on road - no problem at all, even they don't have any license plate etc. They're not cheap, nearly € 50/day for the good once, the once with breaks ;-) ).

But: no aircon and you'll get all the exhaust gases from busses, trucks...

Better you rent a car. I normally go for AVIS (North Pattaya) or Expat Rent A Car (Jomtien). At € 50 you're getting a big Toyota Fortuner SUV or a new model Toyota Camry 2.4. They're fully insured and it's absolutely no problem to drive with a national European/American driving license.

But we careful of dents and scratches write them all down when you pick up the car!

IMO renting a car is much better than taking the Baht busses, you've got more privacy, more flexibility, your own music, your own aircon...

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

Everyone thanks for the reply..... Honkeiv i am more keen on getting a ATV cos i feel it would be a different experience , wont mind spending that kind of money just too concerned about the the legal scenario...... Can you share your experience with cops ? do they really bother if its illegal or were you lucky enough to not face them when on your ATV ? Can we use it in central Pattaya for daily usage ?

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
364 posts
1,055 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

I was driving all over Pattaya, on Sukhumvit, Central... everywhere - but ALWAYS wearing a helmet. And never ever the police stopped me, even the ATV didn't have a license plate. There're many foreigners driving around with ATVs, no problem at all. The only problem - I guess - would be when you're having an accident.

Yes, ATV is different than car, because you're in the middle of the action, can stop where ever you want...

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

There's a lot of farang smoking pot in Pattaya too. That doesn't make it a smart choice.

If you choose to flout Thai law when it suits you, make sure you're aware of the consequences so you won't have a hissy when you get f***** over.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
364 posts
1,055 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

@ Fourb2: then you hand the police man some small money and that's it... If you're worried of everything you shouldn't come to Thailand, stay at home. In Thailand, when you're 'farang', there's always a change you get f*** by police, even you drive around in a fully insured car which you rented... you can also get sick by the food & many other things. In life many things are risk, and this makes life interesting and thrilling.

Oh, and I forgot... Have been stopped by poluce several times (never when riding an ATV, always when driving car), have shown my national European drivers license. It always has been accepted, never has been a problem with police at all. Yes, there MIGHT be a problem - but the chance is lower than passing 2nd road and be catched by a car ;-)

Edited: 30 December 2011, 15:15
10. Re: Rental Pattaya - ATV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 December 2011, 16:26
Edited: 30 December 2011, 16:26