We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pattaya Taxi

England
Level Contributor
261 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pattaya Taxi

Stated in Pattaya Mail - The Pattaya and Bothong taxi cooperatives and Pattaya Beach Taxi announced July 25 they would propose that base fares for metered cabs be raised from the current 30 baht to 100 baht for trips of two kilometers or less.

Even more drastically, the taxi union wants to charge 20 baht per kilometer for the third kilometer onward. That would be an increase of 500 percent from the current six baht per kilometer for kilometers 3-10, and 10 baht for each kilometer afterward.

Pattaya Baht Buses will probably want to increase their fares too ?

Edited: 06 August 2018, 14:52
Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Pattaya Beach
Pattaya Beach
3,991 Reviews
Pattaya, Thailand
11 replies to this topic
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pattaya Taxi

To be honest Mick you have more chance of being bitten by a dinosaur than actually getting a Pattaya taxi driver to use the meter so what the "meter fares" are doesn't really matter.

As for the Baht busses the fare has been 10 Baht for somewhere round about 25 years so an increase would not really be out of order (as long as it is not a ridiculous amount).

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
England
Level Contributor
261 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pattaya Taxi

It also states - Local taxi cooperatives have officially asked the military to dramatically raise fares in exchange for their cooperation in using meters.

I agree with your Baht Bus comment Mick C, they are due a fare increase.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pattaya Taxi

MickC there was a time around 15 years ago when Thais paid Thb 5 and non Thais Thb 10 then it switched to Thb 10 for all.

I agree with you that the fare could be increased for a long journey eg Dusit to Walking St but if you just were feeling lazy and wanted to go from Central to Royal Garden then Thb 10 is ok. Difficult to police a differing fare system though.

You're spot on with the taxis, they will never use the meter in Pattaya. I refuse to use them, but not a big issue as I always stay within a short stroll of a songteow route. I feel sorry for the inexperienced tourists, especially those with young kids or the elderly, getting overcharged by the taxi mafia.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
131 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pattaya Taxi

They always tend to try to increase prices when tourism drops, as it's been doing for years. If instead they upped their game and made the place more appealing to a wider range of tourists they would find that they would make more money that way. For me the place serves its purpose and I only get a taxi once a year so this won't bother me at all.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pattaya Taxi

Baht buses were supposed to be increasing their fares a few months ago but it never happened. As for taxi’s I’ve never managed to find a metered taxi in Pattaya and those that don’t use meters start with a minimum fare of 200 baht. The baht bus is excellent value, Ive gone for miles for 10 baht.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
131 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pattaya Taxi

I agree, the baht buses are excellent value and the 10baht price hasn't changed in years. I only had one problem in 7 years when, suddenly and without notice, you apparently weren't allowed to stand on the wide rear platform, which is clearly designed for people to stand on. Next day it was all back to normal. Wow..a lot of visitors and ex-pats got seriously disillusioned with Thailand that day.

Mentioned in this post
Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pattaya Taxi

Wilystoat they are trying to bring back no standing on the baht buses, can’t see this happening though as the drivers would not make enough money.

England
Level Contributor
261 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pattaya Taxi

It could be all part of the Thai Military plan to remove the back standing area of the Baht Buses and give them a Fare Increase at the same time to compensate for being able to carry less passengers ?

I personally wouldn't object to a 10% Fare Increase would you ?

Edited: 07 August 2018, 23:08
Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pattaya Taxi

Mick it won’t be a 10% increase as they are trying to increase the fares to 20 baht.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pattaya Taxi

I must admit, we were a little under prepared for a taxi ride in Pattaya after already using baht buses. We jumped in a taxi outside walking street and started the negotiation with 100 baht (only 1 block and half journey) and the driver pretty much threw us out of the taxi. Ha ha, lesson learned, walk or baht bus for the shorter journeys.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Reply to: Pattaya Taxi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted