We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Malaysia
Level Contributor
494 posts
24 reviews
Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Hi.

We will be visiting Ko Samui in mid-August and will be staying at Taling Ngam area (Conrad hotel).

Is there a town/village in the area or near the area ?

- are there any good and affordable Thai massage places nearby ?

We would like to get a massage done preferably in late afternoon or evening.

- is there a shopping street or the likes of a night market nearby ?

Intend to get some cheap souvenirs and also Thai snacks to bring home.

- any recommended Thai eating places near the hotel ?

- also, does anyone know the approximate taxi cost to travel between the above and the hotel ?

Understand the taxis do not use the meter, so need an approximate price to bargain with the taxi driver where possible.

Thanks in advance.

SAMUI AROMA
Gift & Speciality Shops
Phukan Gallery
Gift & Speciality Shops
17 replies to this topic
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Given your location at the Conrad, you are not going to find taxi's waiting, but I would imagine that they would provide a mini bus service once or perhaps twice a day, not sure if complimentary or not.. The closest stores are a 7 11 and Family Mart, roughly 2 kms away. There is not much else in the immediate area.

For Nik Nak shopping Nathon town is actually quite good to wander around... lots of little shops with all kinds of stuff. Just wander down the main street or even some of the side streets, it's the original town, some old interesting buildings to see, allow and hour or two, there are some good restaurants in town too, perhaps stop for lunch. Lucky restaurant is one of my favorites on the water front section of Nathon's one way system..

If you want "up market" shopping then Central Mall in Chawang will give you that, or even Fisherman's village in Bophut Friday evening might be good there as they have a walking street, that is very popular. There is a night market in Lamai, (closer) on Sunday evenings.

But as said, you probably won't find taxis with cheap rates, I'd be surprised if you get away with at least 1000 baht, each way. Perhaps 500 or 600 to Nathon.

You could possibly rent a car, if you are used to Asian driving it's not too different than Malaysia, except more motorbikes here. The West side traffic is generally very light, even as far as Lamai, it's light traffic except possibly early morning and evening "rush hours" in the built up areas ....

Massages are no doubt offered at the resort, I doubt will be cheap, beach ladies, are about 300 baht an hour in many other beach areas, more in an air conditioned shops..

DId I get it all?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,779 posts
383 reviews
2. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Is there a town/village in the area or near the area ?

A] not really, there is a small area but not much, a 7Eleven and a couple of little places.

- are there any good and affordable Thai massage places nearby ?

A] not really, you find something a few hundred meters away, but the Conrad clients tend not to want beach or shop massages.

- is there a shopping street or the likes of a night market nearby ?

A] no you will have to head to the other markets and shopping areas.

- any recommended Thai eating places near the hotel ?

A] there isn't really any

- also, does anyone know the approximate taxi cost to travel between the above and the hotel ?

A] it depends where. You could head to Nathon, or Lamai, but you will pay anything from 500-1000thb one way. You are in a remote location, and its a top end hotel.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
494 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Thanks all for the replies.

The hotel does provide a complimentary one way shuttle to either Lamai beach or Chaweng beach in late afternoons.

- which is a better place to go (Lamai or Chaweng) for local food and local shopping (food snacks etc, to bring home) ?

- do not intend to do a massage/spa at the hotel as it is way overpriced.

Any recommended places at Chaweng or Lamai ?

- are there any good local shopping malls ?

- On Tripadvisor, I see quite a few eating places in the Baan Taling Ngam area (Hemingways etc.)

How much would a taxi cost approximately between the hotel and Baan Taling Ngam ?

Are there night markets or 'shopping mall's etc. in that area ?

Thank you.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

What you are not understanding is that the Conrad is situated in the far south west of the island.

In my eyes perfect for me as I still love Taling Ngam.

What people are telling you is what you do not want to know.

You pick the Conrad to chill and relax and do nothing

You want shopping, restaurants and nightlife then you are completely in the wrong hotel! And completely wrong part of the island.

Why the Conrad?

Ok massage in Taling Ngam head for a resort called Am Samui Resort small cheap place stunning bungalows but you will find a massage available at reasonable rates.

Shops as said 7 11 but no malls there ate a few local restaurants around up near the Inter continental but not walkable.

Hemingways from Conrad maybe around 6km 15 minutes in taxi and I would guess 800 to 1000 Baht each way.

Baan Taling Ngam have shopping malls? Hhhhmmmmmm absolutely not

You really need to change hotels if you want as you seem to want the shopping, malls etc.

You could not have picked a worse location of hotel for all of that and base yourself.

I love Taling Ngam, I love the peace and quiet but if I had not been Samui before would not be my first choice pick.

Chaweng or Lamai? Actually no difference to me it depends where I am at the time and what I am closest to.

If you have never been before then I would say Chaweng first for malls and big shops, restaurants etc then work it out from there

Being at the Conrad I am sorry to say you are going to pay an horrendous amount of money in taxi fares amd would seriously consider car hire and the Island is very easy to Navigate.

Edited: 01 July 2018, 22:01
Malaysia
Level Contributor
494 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Thanks again for the very frank reply - I like that :)

We picked the Conrad because of some points thingy, hence the location was secondary.

In any case, we will try to make the best out of it.

- understand Fisherman Wharf only opens on a Friday evening.

Assuming we only have time for 1 place, would you recommend Fisherman's Wharf or Chaweng (near Central Festival area etc.) ?

local shopping and local food

What are the differences between Fisherman's Wharf and Chaweng ?

- for snorkeling, would you recommend Ang Thong marine park or Koh Tao ?

- we were thinking f we should do some sightseeing on our last day on the way to the airport from Conrad.

Anything not to be missed along the way ?

I reckon I can possibly arrange this with the taxi company.

Thanks.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Fisherman's village is open all week, but on Friday nights it is transformed into a very large walking street market. If you are there on a Friday night it is well worth the effort to go. The markets will provide more "local" shopping than the shopping mall in Chaweng. It depends a little bit on what you want to buy. At the markets there are loads of bags, casual clothing, inexpensive jewellery, cheap cosmetics and loads of souvenirs etc. As well as street food. It's probably the best night market on the island. (although the Lamai Sunday market is pretty good too, but more focused on food). There is also a night market at Nathon on Saturday nights which is not far from your hotel (still a taxi required but a short trip). You might find things are a little cheaper here as it is more of a locals market but there will be less of the "souvenir-y" type stalls.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

On a Saturday evening on Ban Khao beach they have a street market, same like the walking street markets. Not sure what its like never been, I heard thats its a pretty cool setting. Here you can get some Thai sweets, snacks, or little Nik Naks to take home

Lipa Noi along the beach wall, before driving down you can see a small walking street market, this also has Nik Naks and Thai sweets ect

Malaysia
Level Contributor
494 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Thanks all.

Am looking to buy Thai local snacks, some souvenirs and lemongrass products for me to bring back home.

less of clothings and bags.

Wonder if the night market at Fisherman Village is a scaled down version of Chatuchak Market in Bangkok ?

I am considering to do our snorkeling tour to Koh Tao on a Friday, then ask to be dropped off at Fisherman Village after the excursion.

That way we can hopefully save our one way transfer time from Conrad to Fisherman Village on a separate trip.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
78 reviews
9. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

Nah the night market at fisherman's village is not even a fraction of what you'd find at Chatuchak. There's maybe around 100-150 stalls at the friday night market. Chatuchak has something like 15,000. Well, OK that's a fraction, just a very small fraction LOL.

I think it's a great idea to be dropped at Bophut after your snorkelling trip, that would work well. When you are ready to go back to your hotel, there are taxis easily available from the carpark of the Wharf shopping centre (just walk into the carpark and soon enough someone will shout 'taxi taxi'. They will show you a board with pricing. They will say the price is fixed but in my experience you can still haggle a bit, especially as your fare will be larger than most.)

For the things you want to buy as well as the market itself there is a great shop in Fisherman's village called Blue Vanilla, they stock lots of local sweets and really nice souvenirs. The shop is about halfway down the walking street. Do take a look :)

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
72 reviews
10. Re: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places

If you go to what is known as Grandfather/ Grand Mother rocks, near Lamai, there are a number of stalls that are open all day, nik naks as well, you might find what you are looking for... It's a very popular stop for tourists.

Hin Ta Hin Yai, in Thai, or something like that!

Reply to: Tambon Taling Ngam - shopping, massage, eating places
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted