We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Good morning

I am trying to decide between whether to stay at Chaweng or Lamai beach. My parents have stayed at Chaweng beach and said it is very busy and can be quite noisy if you are staying in the middle of Chaweng because of the nightlife. They suggested staying further down the beach in Chaweng or maybe going to Lamai beach. I would like to do some shopping while I'm here so I'm hoping both places have good options for shopping and not tacky shops maybe some nice boutique shops? Can anyone suggest 3 to 4 star accommodation that is a bit out of the middle of chaweng beach or in Lamai beach that is located on the beach?

Thanks for your help.

Kerri

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
1,762 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng Beach
Chaweng Beach
2,897 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
11 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

I forgot to say I'd still like accommodation thst is walkable distance to restaurants and shopping so not too far from the busy part of chaweng beach or at lamai beach, but just not in the noisy nightclubs/bars part. Also my budget would be about $50- 60 AUD a night for accommodation.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

I think you may have to revise your budget as you may be struggling to find suitable 3 to 4 Star accomodation for $50-$55A.

This is equivalent to approx 1300baht. Most of the resorts on the seaward side of Chaweng are reasonably quite at night as they are set away from the road. Look for resorts from Baan Chaweng south as these are on the better part of the beach. Anything north of Baan Chaweng are in a lagoon and the water is very shallow and slimy

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Baan Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa
Baan Chaweng Beach...
653 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Thanks David. Do you mean to look for anything south of Baan Chaweng Resort?

So the night clubs and bars are more on the Road than on the beach?

Is there shopping areas all along Chaweng beach?

Is Lamai beachvmuch quieter than Chaweng beach and does it have good shopping?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Baan Chaweng Beach...
653 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Chaweng Resort
Chaweng Resort
202 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Chaweng Beach
Chaweng Beach
2,897 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Yes look at resorts south of Baan Chaweng. All of the night clubs are located on the road and the only noise you may hear is from the Art Bar which is on the beach but north of Baan Chaweng. The beach at Chaweng is better than Lamai as is the shopping. There is a big new shopping centre Central Festival which has opened on the main beach road in Chaweng.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Baan Chaweng Beach...
653 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

If you're after shopping, then Chaweng is definately your best option. You've got Central Festival mall which has some nice little specialty shops as well as department store and some chain stores. Also along the beach road are small shops. But also make sure if you like shopping you get to one of the walking street markets - the best ones are at Fisherman's village on Friday nights or Lamai on Sunday nights but there are a few others as well, depends what days you are there.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Great thanks David. I've had a look at accommodation along chaweng beach south of that resort. I see what you mean by I won't get anything for that price. It is quite expensive to stay at Chaweng beach compared to where I've booked in Koh Phangan. I have found some accommodation more around my budget. The Seascape Resort for about $65 per night. Do you know if this place is ok, theres mixed reviews for it. As long as its clean and its on the beach so thats good. Is the shopping areas you suggested walking distance from there if I stay there?

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng Beach
Chaweng Beach
2,897 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Thanks Dragonlass-Aus. I actually will be there on a Friday night so will go and check out Fishermans village. How far is it from Chaweng beach? Can I walk there or do I need to get a taxi?

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng Beach
Chaweng Beach
2,897 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
737 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Taxi should take 14mins, about 500baht there.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Seascape is down the southern end of Chaweng beach, right next door to Poppies. We stayed there years and years ago before it was renovated and a new wing built. It's a lovely part of the beach but a bit of a long walk to the central part of Chaweng where Central Festival is.

You don't say when you are going because that might affect the price for places people are recommending. Looking on booking.com, a couple of places are coming up in your price range or just over, but without knowing dates, it's hard to say if these would be ok for you (Al's Resort, Chaweng Resort, Chalala, COSI, Chaweng Budget hotel, Evergreen resort). Tradewinds by Lawana came up too, although more expensive than you want to pay, Cassnu who posts on here stayed here last year and rated it as decent.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng Beach
Chaweng Beach
2,897 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Chaweng Resort
Chaweng Resort
202 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Chaweng Budget Hotel
Chaweng Budget Hotel
102 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Evergreen Resort
Evergreen Resort
131 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Lawana Resort
Lawana Resort
370 Reviews
Bophut, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach

Thankyou Loubyloulou. Thats really helpful. I am going in August. I booked in at Chalala Resort, this one was for $75 a night at that time, so closer to my budget but still had good reviews, its just out of the busy part of town, but further enough away for it to be quiet. I am only there a few days after being at a retreat in Koh Phangan so i don't mind that its not a swimming beach. Thanks everyone for your replies and help.

Reply to: Chaweng beach or Lamai beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted