We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding food poisoning?

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Avoiding food poisoning?

Hi there

Can anyone tell me what's the best way to avoid food poisoning in Chiang Mai? Planning for honeymoon and wouldn't want to be sick for it.

Thanks for help!

Derek

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

There is no reason to assume you will get food poisoning. Use the same precautuons you would at home.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
785 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

Wash your hands! Regularly! Some gastric illnesses are picked up from the hands! Our Olympians won't be encouraged to shake hands in London, the Captain of a cruise ship does not shake hands before cocktail / dinner reception. Why do some people become ill and others not at the same dinner sitting? Because they didn't sanitize their hands!

Take some antiseptic hand-wash (Dettol) etc. and be sure to use every time before dining.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 14:37
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

Antiseptic handgels are often found in shops and stores for customers to use, and both gels and liquids are available to buy in any pharmacy as well as places like 7/11.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

It would be better to avoid things that are washed in water such as salads and fruits that you can't pee and only drink bottled water and clean your teeth with it, but we have been going to thailand for years and never got sick.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

Just to add that another culprit of an upset stomach is air conditioning, going from tropic temperatures to Polar isn't a good idea.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

Hi,

I find that undercooked meats are the main culprit. Check things like chicken are cooked through and watch eating too much chili until your stomach is used to it. Also don't over do the fruit, that can sometimes cause a temporary change is your dietary system.

cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

Don't eat food that is just sitting out keeping 'warm' - eat food prepared fresh and hot.

I also agree with being careful about eating cut fruit that could have been washed in local water.

We have rarely ever been sick traveling in Thailand, but it is recommended that you have hep A and typhoid immunizations for all SE Asian travel. It is one shot and combined needle. Hep A and typhoid are carried in food and water, so best to be covered.

Hand gel is also really useful.

Have fun and don't stress too much.

There are wonderful places to eat in Chiang Mai, you'll love it.

Caroline.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

Plenty of advice given above, think positively, it isn't going to happen. I have never suffered from food poisoning in Thailand, upset stomach yes but nothing serious.

Nepean
Level Contributor
23 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

One bit a advise which was given to me is to be careful with seafood as Chiang Mai is along way from the sea. This wouldn't apply to large hotels etc. I have not had any problems with the salads. Have a good holiday!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding food poisoning?

Fish is fine in Chiang Mai, much of it is shipped live so it is quite fresh. Likewise shrimp, squid, cockels are all shipped in daily essentially straight from the boats so are quite safe to eat.

As others have said, wash your hands before eating, as bacteria we pick up by touching things during the day contributes to far more cases of Bangkok belly than does food.

No need to be worried about food poisoning, enjoy your honeymoon, try the foods and experience Thailand.