We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

Im interested in taking a Thai Massage course in Chang Mai and have narrowed it down to Sunshine Massage School, ITM, TMC and possibly TTC. Does any one have any recent experiences with any of these schools? Can you give some advice/recommendations on the programs, teachers, etc. I am a yoga teacher, but have no massage experience and am looking to take a 4, possibly 5wk course if the price and program are right! Any info (good or bad) to help make a decision would be greatly appreciated!! Oh yeah...if you have a massage school rec for BKK (aside from Wat Po) as well am happy to hear that too...

Cheers!

109 replies to this topic
1. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2016, 07:35

2. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2016, 07:35

Chiang Mai, Chiang...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

Beware Sunshine Massage school in Chiang Mai

This morning one of the teachers put me in a choke hold, and while I was supported by my throat, he carried me down the steps, across the lawn and out in the street. He put me in the dirty street, climbed on top of me. This is a large, burly, shaved-headed, young Caucasian man named Trayl. This teacher will probably still be there when you come.

Make up your own mind if you want to go to a school with people like this for teachers.

My mistake was to try to ask for my money back from Max. All I wanted was my tuition back so I could go to another school with the money, after having a bad experience in Basic Massage class. I brought my book back. And I was manhandled and abused.

If you are still thinking about going, well, OK. You have been warned. One other thing, they teach on old, dirty mattresses (completely pilled and gray) and don't put a sheet on them. A few students complained they felt some sort of bug bites after lying down on them.

I'm trying to think of something kind to say to make this fair and balanced, but all I can think of is that they seem really friendly when you show up to pay, with flowers everywhere and big smiles.

It still hurts to swallow this afternoon, but I am not really angry. For the sake of others who would entrust themselves and their learning to the school, it is my duty to share my experience.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

hello yoga chica.

i have only heard from other students about their actual experiences going to classes at Itm but it seemed to go along with columba01's post. i visited the school to see if it was something i wanted to do a long time ago when i first came to thailand for thai massage training in 2001/02, the original school seemed packed with students who were mostly being taught by other, more senior students. i was offered a massage by one of the student instructors and was left less than impressed with it and the general vibe.

a friend of mine attended tmc about 4 years ago and was positive about his experience there.

my first course was with laurino and asokananda in the lahu village through the sunshine network in 2001 and i enjoyed being outside of chiang mai studying in a hilltribe village. they still offer this classroom setting and it is still reasonable priced and is about 2 weeks, i believe. it gave me an adequate foundation for learning more thai massage later. i believe it is imperative to understand more about anatomy and the workings of the body with relation to movement inorder to give a safe massage. i was fortunate to have a basic understanding of this as i studied massage before i came to thaland and am a ryt yoga instructor also. the sunshine massage school offers courses besides basic level, advanced, side position etc with others that may give you some more insight into what makes a safe, therapeutic massage. i cannot speak for the one poster's experience there but i have never had any problems with the teachers nor the administrator there in the 10 years i have attended classes there

there are other teachers in chiang mai that offer beginning courses. the blind ajahn singchai, jak chaya, and khun mac at the fine art of thai massage, the school of natural health run by khun picnic, loh kroh school run by cooky and of course, the old medicine hospital of chiang mai.

chok dee na khap with your search... and safe travels to thailand!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

Can anyone recommend specific places to go for a massage in Chiang Mai? I'm sure there are hundreds of places but I'm also sure that many people give massages and don't know what they're doing. I'd rather pay a bit more and know I'm getting someone that is experienced and qualified in what they are doing.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
6. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2016, 00:25
Edited: 18 January 2016, 00:25

7. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2016, 00:25

Auckland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

Hi Yoga chica

i have been studying TYM with many schools in Thailand and one in India. I have been to ITM, SMH, TMC first as these were well known. After spending a lot of time and money i have come to a list of attributes a good massage school should have. I have found only one school (School of Thai Yoga Massage INDIA) www.tyms.in in India that fits the bill. Its a small school but the teacher Cyriac speaks fluent english knows anatomy and has great technique. so here is my list if it helps.

1. Good communication in English. If the teacher cannot explain why something is being done then there is no point in just seeing a demo. At TYMS the faculty speak very good English and answered all my questions from an anatomical perspective.

2. The teacher must work on you and you must work on the teacher too. Otherwise you will never understand how much pressure to put or where the points and meridians are. At TYMS the class strength was limited to four students per teacher and i experienced every sequence from the teacher and then got to practice several times on teacher during the course.

3. Does the course allow you repeat the course at a reasonable cost. At TYMs i stayed for another two weeks and repeated level 1 and 2 again for FREE. I have met many students from ITM who after two years still practice with a workbook.

4. Memorisation: because schools charge you for repeating the course it is in their interest not teach you properly especially not insist on memorizing the sequence. I found it a bit childish that Cyriac insisted on me memorizing the sequence several times. too my surprise after i did it my technique improved so much that did not use the book any more and was able to focus on my breath and my technique much more.

5. Cyriac used some very cool 3D anatomy software that allowed us to see the connection muscles were making with each other and the internal workings of the human body . That helped me better visualise what i was working on.

today i have a flourishing practice in Aukland and while i am grateful to all my teachers but i want to say that cyriac at www.tyms.in moved my practice up several notches. go to india the land where thai massage was born and find cyriac. Best thing is the cost is the same as any of these thai schools and is accredited by THAI. All the best

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

Definitely recommend from big schools the old medicine hospital and from smaller miss Wanna from Art of Massage. Those two are really good value options.

Mentioned in this post
Art of Massage
Art of Massage
120 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???

Do you know anything about "The Fine Art of Thai Massage" or about TMC?

Reply to: Help! Choosing Chang Mai Thai Massage Program???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted