We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anzac day - Chiang Mai

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Anzac day - Chiang Mai

Just wondering if any expats know of any places that may have an activity for Anzac Day in or around Chiang Mai?

Is there any sites - other than travelling down to Hellfire Pass?

It feels wrong not to do something!

Thanks

Shae

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

Would be interested to know also.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

Did a quick search and found this information for those who want to stay in CM and honor Anzac Day.."one here in Chiang Mai.

Not publicised, but held 6-30am for the past couple of years at the House of Praise International Church, Theparak Road.

Rev Jonathan Vickers and team organized wreaths which were laid beside the Aussie and the Kiwi flags. He conducted a brief but sincere service.

After the service Jonathan's team provided a sausage sizzle with damper and Anzac biscuits! Coffee, tea and soft drinks also provided." Perhaps contact the church or the Rev. himself? Hope this helps some. Marie (nannyre)

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

Anzac Day 2012 - Im an ex serviceman living in Chiang Mai. Last year (2011) I attended the service at House of Praise International Church (good service) and will do again this year.

However, would like to organise some form of activity (RSL style) for later in the day. I have a venue with a willing proprietor - anyone interested?

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

There's an Aussie pub at the end of Loi Kroh Road (the river end, not the girlie bar end). Can't remember the name, something like the Down Under Pub. You try dropping by if your in the area and asking - I'm sure there will be loads of Aussies in there :)

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

The Down Under Bar is the bar that have kindly offered to host Anzac Day all those interested. Im trying to get a guage on numbers to assist Stewart (proprietor of Down Under Bar). I would also like a volunteer interested in setting up and running 2 up.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

For Information:

ANZAC Day: House of Praise International Church in Chiang Mai will be holding its annual ANZAC day dawn service and breakfast BBQ starting at 6:00am, on the 25th of April. Everyone is welcome to attend. Wear colours and ribbons. For directions call Dr Jane 089-8514292 info@cochouseofpraise.com. 053 212 904. www.cochouseofpraise.com

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

Two kiwi girls very keen to celebrate with other Anzacs this year where is the pub? Will be attending the dawn service too

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

"where is the pub?"

Loi Kroh Road, not at the moat end where all the girlie bars are, but at the other end, near the river, about a km down.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

Wow I wish all this had have happened last year when i posted this - it would have been great.

Will be in Vietnam next week for Anzac Day so need to find something there!

Perpetual traveller
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anzac day - Chiang Mai

I would like to recommend the House of Praise Int. Church for a touching service more in line with the true meaning of ANZAC Remembrance.

Veterans from all nations are warmly welcomed and I noted they wear their colours and ribbons proudly as well.

The Pastor is himself an ex-serviceman and confident public speaker so it makes for an excellent service and though it's run by a Church, no one will be offended if you bring a few drinks for the bbq, as military customs and traditions dictate.

I think a Veterans March after the bbq to the Down Under Bar to really top off a great day! I know its Thailand, but can we do it?