We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair salons

Sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hair salons

I was wondering if there were any decent hair salons who do good colouring/highlighting and extensions for a reasonable price. Also, are they cheaper or more expensive compared to bangkok?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair salons

Don't even get me started on this one.

Have had two disgusting hair cuts in Chiang Mai over the years (you'd think I would have learnt the first time).

Many of the stylists just don't get Western hair. I was so certain I had communicated exactly what I wanted last time and that she understood - but she just totally ignored what I had said/mimed.

I cried for about an hour after getting back to the hotel room. (and I'm not joking it was that bad).

So, you take your chances. I would ask one of the local women on the forum - like Rosli or Maree (Nannyre) - they will be able to give you a good recommendation no doubt.

Caroline.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair salons

Hi,

Having been too busy to get to the hairdressers prior to our recent holiday to CM I was nevertheless a little horrified to hear my 10yr old (boy mind you) saying for the fourth consecutive day "mum you REALLY need to do something about your hair". Feeling afraid, I have read Caroline's previous posts on the subject but convinced by now my hair was probably putting fellow tourists off their food and shopping, I ventured in to a hair salon. Unfotrunatley my painstakingly practiced thai (ok I can say hello and thanks) just didnt cut it when it came to highlights, no problem I abondoned this idea- colour only. Then hairdresser disappeared! Not good. She returned with a friend who spoke more english after much debate I was advised my 'whites, so many very very bad' (WHAT, those miniscule, hardly noticible greys), they decided highlights were good for me very beautiful. And so we proceeded. I had wisely decided not to do the haircut, so much more sensible to let your head be lathered in chemicals in a foriegn country. Out came a bright blue pot of ?? Bleach. OMG I am a brunette! Much frantic pointing at colour charts, I am reassured 'very good for many whites', I sit terrified while 10 random hunks of hair are selected for the blue goo (no weaves here).......2hrs later I emerge........it's FANTASTIC! 800baht,

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair salons

Now that's living on the edge :-)

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair salons

OK....800/THB for highlights.......WHERE??? I keep returning from a "head alignment" with the most awful highlights seen anywhere on this planet or any other for that matter! Finally gave up and have been doing color at home....still not a good idea as it is waaay toooo gold for my coloring. (but my Thai neighbors always say, "So sexy...!!!!") Share the info...where did you go? As for cut, I went to the highly suggested place at Airport. The first haircut was great! I even posted on here about it as well as named the place. Randy and Ning said they used this place...so, I went back. Four times now...and everyone who has cut my hair since the first time (different person each visit...which I don't like, but was told the original person.."Not here...will be fine Madame") has done a traditional Thai "bowl cut"....and I don't look good as a "Beetle wannabe". I don't want to do the "let it grow and just tie it back deal" (can't get through the "can't do a bloody thing with it" stage). ....and don't want to invest in a trip to HK every six weeks, where I always got a great cut and color. Therefore, I have been investing in hats since November. HELP! .......a distraught, hair challanged Marie (nannyre)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair salons

That's funny Maree - but probably not for you!

I agree - if you just want a straight trim of hair all the same length - or a bowl cut - you are probably ok. If you have hair that has layers - forget it. I had been trying to grow mine for ages and had all these layers in it, after my 'cut' it had been cut really short with the layers cut out. An attempt to get it into a bowl cut no doubt.

I hope you find somewhere....

Caroline.

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair salons

I have answered this before here on TA and others have agreed. Tom Laycuts on the 3rd floor of Airport Plaza shopping mall is where we always go with great results.

Have fun,

Randy and Ning

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair salons

Hello,

The hairdresser was Mols Beauty Salon Soi 6 Moon Muang Rd in the old city.

Warning: it is not glamrous, think 50's barber shop but a little more run down. To be honest I dont know what I was thinking, chosen completely by chance, only cos I was walking past and my daughters name is Molly!

I'm not sure if it was good luck or good management but it really was great. the 800THB was for a colour as well as the highlights. Not sure if the random way of doing highlights will work with a symetrical bowl hairdo lol Perhaps allthai's recommendation is the way to go..........but having said that I would front up again at Mols

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair salons

I'd agree with Tom Lay's at the Airport Plaza. I usually go to the smaller shop (there are 2 Tom Lay shops at Airport Plaza) on the 2nd floor (?). There are 2 regular hair dressers there, so you're likely to get the same one each time you go. I'm Asian, but took my Aussie sister in law there and she was very happy with her hair cut and went back there again last time she came.

Edited: 18 January 2010, 13:03
Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hair salons

Thanks for the info. No, I don't want a "bowl cut", nor can my farang hair be cut "all the same length"...too thick, too much wave to my hair, and in the hot and humid weather I frizz and curl. Not my fave look either! One of the things I have a problem with is trying to explain the cut I want...even with a translator person with me. I have brought pictures of haircuts that I have taken out of mag's which would suit my face and small frame, but???.....I get the "OK, Madame"...and then it's either the "bowl" or what I would discribe as a "man/boy haircut" As for the color and or highlights, I really don't like having my head put under a floor stand hairdryer to speed the color process on either. It made my hair a dry, split, orange, unmanageable mess. That was why I first went to the Airport Plaza shop and got it all cut off. So we could start at the begining....now, I don't know? Randy and Ning...I always feel as though the travelers as well as we who live here get really good info from you guys.... Do you have the name of the person who cuts your hair? Maybe I should just hold out for that person, and if they're not in go back when they are? (you can PM the info to me if you think that's better than posting it on here) I'm at the point where I'm begining to think maybe I should do the total "shave the head" thing.....??? Marie (nannyre)

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hair salons

We have no problem having anyone that works there cut our hair. Been getting my hair cut and sometimes colored there for years. Hair dressers come and go but we never had a problem with any one of them cutting our hair the way we like.

I forgot what the smaller place is called, I think Tanaka but the sign also says by Tom Laycut.

Enjoy,

Randy and Ning