We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation price rises and availability?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
162 posts
77 reviews
Accommodation price rises and availability?

We visited Chiang Mai for the first time in May this year and absolutely loved it. So much so we are looking to return in May next year. I have been doing a bit of research (it keeps me going between trips) and have noticed that the prices for a couple of places we stayed in and a few others we checked out but did not use have almost doubled. Also the booking sites are saying between 49% and 68% of rooms are sold out for that time of year. My questions are 1. is there something happening in May next year? 2. has the cost of living greatly increased? or is this connected to the recent closure of many guesthouses?

Would be interested if anyone can shed any light on the matter?

3 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,776 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Accommodation price rises and availability?

I did a bit of checking around on booking.com. To places I know well KOKO Palms and Raming Lodge

May is low season and I am not a where of any event at that time. As you know it is hot. What I found was that a few places I know had limited rooms say for 1 May. So I checked some other days for example September, and the rates were a bit lower, again the number of rooms was low and the prices a bit less.I also check March and the same. It could be impacted by the recent closure of guest houses. I am wondering if the rooms are not being release. Might be worth checking directly with a couple of places.

The cost of living in Chiang Mai is rising slowly, where I get my hair cut it has been 80 baht for the last three years. I note some food lines in Tesco have increased. That said, I doubt if it is more than 5% per year.

Chok Dee

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
162 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Accommodation price rises and availability?

Thanks for your input John. Once I get our flights booked and have definite dates I will try contacting places direct and see what happens. With May being low season I just could not understand why the high prices and so few rooms but you could be right about the booking sights having not yet had there rooms released.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
106 posts
3. Re: Accommodation price rises and availability?

I will talk specifically about Agoda.

In Agoda, it all depends on your hotel selection. The room rate for reputable hotels do not usually fluctuate too much....but still if you book early / quite far from your arrival, the room rate can be 20% cheaper.

But for other hotels (usually 3 stars & below), you will usually see high fluctuation in the room rate.

Some of these 3 star hotels can actually raise the rate very high if you book too early.....as much as double the normal room rate. Some others are actually the opposite, low room rate (below normal) with early booking, and keep rising as the time is coming near.

Some others, will fluctuate like crazy......almost every 2-3 days. I don't know whether this is the hotel's pricing strategy, or Agoda's . I have noticed some hotels raise the price by as much as 50-60% , but then drops again substantially in the next 2-3 days , but then rises again within 3-4 days , and drops again.....like a rollercoaster. If you don't believe , take notice of The Step Sathon's in Bangkok.

I notice, last week the same room is 100% , then it soars to 175% , then drops to 130%..

You will also notice some hotels , when booking 6 months ahead, has almost double the room rate than when you book for next month.....not because it is high season, but because they have strange pricing tactic, either Agoda's or the hotel's.

In general, if you see the room rate is high, don't book.....keep watching.

When the price is dropping, either it's Agoda's promotion, premium deal, etc....book it.

If you see the rate is even getting much lower than the rate you book earlier, cancel your booking & rebook again (only possible if you choose Book Now Pay Later).

If you are patient & diligent enough, you will usually save some money by booking when it shows the lowest rate. In many cases, you can at least get free buffet breakfast for 2 persons for the same rate.

Reply to: Accommodation price rises and availability?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted