We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around

I am planning to visit for 4 nights, flying in from, and back to Bangkok, so i have 3 full days. Im thinking of staying at the Bodhi Serene.

We're mostly interested in seeing temples ans historical sights but would like to see some nature too as we will have been in Bangkok for several days.

Ive seen a tea plantation which is 1.5hours from Chiang Mai. Are there other excursions you would recommend? And how should we get around (we wont be driving). Is it best to use taxis or to book organised tours?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bodhi Serene Hotel
Bodhi Serene Hotel
1,072 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
10 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around

Hi

CM old city is pretty easy on foot . All you need is to find out the sights you want to see from google map. A local SIM card is very helpful. There are a few out of town sights like the Mon Cam, Par Chor and would need the vehicle to get you there. Mon Cam and Par Chor would would entire day due to the traveling distance.

You can browse this website and request for a free Chinagmai city map mail to your oersonal address

http://www.sawasdeemap.com/

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around

Thanks. My question was asking how i should travel to sights outside of the city.

I will walk within the city but whats tge best way of travelling outside of the city?

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around

Cheapest would be a songthaew (covered pickup taxi) which you will see running around the city. Some people find it a bit too noisy/dirty for longer trips and prefer a proper air conditioned taxi, but these need to be booked not just randomly cruising for fares. Bodhi Serene or other hotel can probably arrange either means of transport + can be useful to include a local Thai-speaking guide. Good day trips to see "nature" would be Doi Suthep - Doi Pui, Mon Cham (Mon Jaem), Bua Tong ("sticky") waterfalls (+Wat Ban Den temple), Doi Inthanon National Park, or maybe the usual 1-Day trekking deals or an elephant camp.

Mentioned in this post
Bodhi Serene Hotel
Bodhi Serene Hotel
1,072 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Wat Ban Den
Wat Ban Den
118 Reviews
Mae Taeng, Thailand
Doi Inthanon National Park
Doi Inthanon National...
126 Reviews
Doi Inthanon National Park, Thailand
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around

Jimbo: I would consider hiring a private driver to take you around. I don't know about you, but I never liked going with an organised tour group.

You will be able to find a good car and driver for 2000 - 2500 baht for a full day, including places that are outside of the city. Doi Inthanon would probably cost you more, since it is a full two hour drive each way.

Mentioned in this post
Doi Inthanon
Doi Inthanon
1,958 Reviews
Doi Inthanon National Park, Thailand
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
796 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around

We visited the tea plantation (Araksana) and enjoyed it. We had a private driver who took us, but the plantation also has transport that some of those in our session used. I believe the plantation’s van leaves from the Mercure. You could get there by tuk tuk or songthaew.

Wat Pha Lot is a temple complex set in a gorgeous forested area with waterfall. It’s on the way to Doi Suthep and an easy stop. We had a private driver so we could choose what we wanted to see in the Doi Suthep area. If believe some people take songthaew to Doi Suthep. You’ll find instructions if you google or search here.

Doi Inathanon is great for scenery. Nature walk, very easy, at the top of the mountain and many options for a couple hour trek down the mountain. Not terribly rigorous trekking.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
796 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around

I think you might also enjoy the museums in the old city. Good background on the area history and various cultures. Not overwhelmingly large, so an hour or two should fully cover things. All the old city is very walkable so can easily be combined with old city temple explorations.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around

Thank you. Some great suggestions here.

If i book a private driver should i do that in advance or would i be able to do that at the hotel a day or two before?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
796 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around

Probably you can get the hotel to help you. It may cost a bit more than if you book yourself in advance. If you search on this forum, you'll find a number of drivers recommended. And/or, after you've booked your room, you can contact the hotel/guesthouse and ask if they can find someone, what the cost would be and their procedures and timing for finding a driver for you.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around

We have often done a cycling tour and the most recent one was a village and rural cycling trip.

Very easy riding on flat lanes, stopping along the way, really enjoyable and nice to get out of the city.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around

From my experience, I think if you hire a driver through your hotel you will be paying much more than if you organise a private driver on your own. It's easy enough to do that in advance, and if you read through the threads here, they are many recommended drivers with email addresses to whom you could write. I have heard that some will ask for an advance deposit, but I would avoid that.

Here is the email for a driver that I used in the past and could recommend for safe driving, good English (having lived in the USA for a while and returned) as well as knowledgable and fun. Ms. Joy cnxjoy@gmail.com

There is also a Mr. Joy who comes highly recommended in the forum here. You might want to contact him as well.

Reply to: Getting around
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted