We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

Which is the most efficient and practical way to visit the above countries, arriving Bangkok on August 20 and leaving Bangkok on September 20, must be from September 11 in Bangkok.

Thank you very much

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

By air. You can fly Bangkok-Hanoi-HCMC-Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Bangkok-Vientiane-Luang Prabang-Chiangmai-Bangkok, or Bangkok-Chiangmai-Luang Prabang-Vientiane-Hanoi-HCMC-Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Bangkok, etc

IMO its too much in too little time to really see any one place.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

In a month you could probably do 3 of those but first you need to decide what you want to see in each country, Vietnam needs at least 2 weeks to visit the highlights of the country.

Anyway i would do Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam then Laos.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

If you have to be back in bangkok by 11 september it looks like you only have 3 weeks to travel elsewhere. That's pushing it and to see the main sites in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia you'll have to fly between each. However, the main sites is all you'll see and you'll miss out on a lot of the country.

We loved vietnam but its a long narrow country and you get the best out of the country by mixing flights with driving cross country. We spent 3 weeks in Vietnam starting at Hanoi and wending our way down to Saigon and ran out of time - we would have loved to spend some time exploring the Mekong Delta.

If I had 3 weeks I would start with Vietnam and fly to Saigon (city) and spend a few days, then fly to Hue for a few days (culture - great city), then to Hoi An for 4 days (charming old town, great beachs and stunning scenery - cloudy pass/marble mountains) and spend a couple of days in Hanoi and then off to Siam Rep. You could spend at least 4 days here seeing all the main temple sites and Ton Le Sap (lake). You could also spend a few days in Phnom Penn if you're into the war and genocide history.

The two main towns in Laos are Viantienne and Luang Prabang. Of the two I prefer the latter. Its like stepping back in time and its how I imagine Chiang Mai (Thailand) was 30 years ago. Its a small but beautiful town with lots to do and see, including temples, waterfalls, hill tribes, river trips handicraft centres and night markets. Its the sort of place that just oozes rest and relaxation and the best way to see it is on foot or bike and just wander round the back streets and out of town. Of all the places we've been to in the Far East this is one of my favourites.

If that all sounds too much then personally I would either spend the whole 3 weeks in Vietnam or spend the 3 weeks in Cambodia and Laos and get out to see more of the countrside of both and explore the beaches of Cambodia.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

For Siem Reap plan 4 days. I would assume that 2 days of temples are tiring unless you are into history rather than just "been there, done it'.

The town is nothing much, endless restaurants with Khmer food, bars, souvenir shops, massage shops, latest fad are fish tanks to bathe your feet and get tickled by the fish. Lots of them around.

Siem Reap is a little town where business is around tourists. No need to waste precious time in S.R.

Dont forget it is rainy season. Considering the road conditions within Angkor it is not much fun to bump from puddle to puddle in a tuktuk.

So far rain has been moderate. Went to the temples last week after rain the night before. It was tiring and slow to get around.

If you can, postpone Cambodia. Visit in the dry season. They may do some road rehab.

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

Thank you for you answer.

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

Thank you for your answer.

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

I did Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia.

It worked for me.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

Check these links:

http://www.airtimetable.com/airpass_asia.htm

…bangkokair.com/en/…discovery-airpass.php

Please consider that some Website details may be somewhat out of date. We used the Bangkok Airways option one time to visit Vientiane-SiemReap-PhonmPenh-Bangkok (after taking the train to Nong Khai and then crossing into Vientiane). This was a ~9-day exercise over a school vacation. It offered convenience and reasonable pricing compared to alternatives at that particular time (being about the same cost as a return air ticket BKK-SiemReap-BKK).

Note that this itinerary omits several places that would be normally recommended for those countries, and completely omits VietNam. Also note that the air pass route may be less flexible, and more expensive, than a-la-carte with low cost carriers and/or promotional fares (e.g. promotions between BKK and Hanoi and HoChiMinhCity on some airlines). Check

http://www.saveflights.com for some sample fares (normally nett on this Website, where they may normally be ++ surcharges on other websites). I am not plugging that particular agent - but its Website is helpful for planning purposes.

If you want a whirlwind 1-2 days in each city, this might work. But your TA JBR might be dominated by comparisons check-in and baggage claim waiting times! Almost everyone here will have reasons for you to stay longer in many/most of those destinations. I agree with some of the others that either Vietnam, or Laos and Cambodia, should probably be dropped from such a tight schedule.