We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim cards at the airport

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Sim cards at the airport

Hi

we will arrive at the international airport at about 10.30 pm on a Sunday.

I need to buy a sim card for a Samsung Galaxy S11 phone and also an older Samsung GTE1150 flip phone. Just a prepaid card so that my husband and I can keep in touch if we get separated or in emergencies. We will only be in Bangkok for 2 days in August and then 5 days in October, so being able to use the same sim card would be good.

I have read the post about going to MKB but I know how huge and busy this mall is. Plus I would rather spend my 2 days shopping, not trying to organise a sim card. Though it is important that I can keep in touch with my husband.

Would there be something open at tthat time on a Sunday night where we could get the sim card and if so where and what should we buy for a short time. The phones are both unlocked.

Thanks for any help.

Janderra

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim cards at the airport

I'm not sure what hours they keep, but for a good part of the day there are folks from True Move giving away SIM cards at the airport. DTAC and AIS also have booths there. If you are given one, you'll need to buy a top up. True SIMs only have a short lifetime if they are not topped up regularly. Failing all that you can buy SIM cards for 49 baht in any 7-11 store and most other convenience stores. In fact they are very widely available in many places.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim cards at the airport

Ok thanks for the adv ice. Where do I look out for True Move and the other booths. I know that the Bangkok airport can be confusing.

If we get a free True Move sim card, where do we top it up.

Will any of these just work with any unlocked phone, including the ones at the convenience stores.

As we will be tired after a long flight, I dont want to waste a lot of time looking for these places, so some directions would be great please.

I guess if all else fails then MKB (I think, always get the name of this shopping centre mixed up, but not where it is) is the next option. Any idea what floor and is there one shop better than others. I know in most of these shopping centres there are just 100's of shops/booths and not sure which to pick so as not to get too ripped off. Also most of them seem to have lots and lots of customers waiting to be served.

We will be staying at the Westin on Sukhumvit so also anywhere near there would be good.

Thanks again'

Janderra

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim cards at the airport

Don't bother going to mbk, its a waste of time. 7-11 sells the sim cards and the top ups, as do lots of other places. There are 7-11s everywhere. Yes they work with unlocked phones. The True, Dtac and AIS booths are fairly obvious in the arrivals area.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 18:59
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,388 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim cards at the airport

Hi,

Just a few meters down the street from your hotel (Soi 19) is a 7-11, the store suggested by bbtony. Obtaining a sim will not be difficult.

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim cards at the airport

This may be a daft question but....

I will need a micro SIM for my phone, are these freely available?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim cards at the airport

They are available widely, but not usually free.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,485 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim cards at the airport

Cut to the chase and head for either the AIS or DTAC booths at the airport. These are in the row of exchange outlets and other services to your right as you exit from Customs into the Arrivals hall on the second floor. They're open late for sure and the people there will get you set up. Personally, I'm partial to AIS. Many swear by DTAC. Both have good coverage and tourist-friendly plans. The brand of your phones is immaterial. What is important is that they are not SIM-locked. If they are SIM-locked you will have to visit MBK, 4th floor or another technology mall and get the lock broken.

Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim cards at the airport

Can I buy a phone as well ??

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,485 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim cards at the airport

Not that I know of.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sim cards at the airport

Hi

Thanks for the information. Nice to know where to look at the airport.

I will also be looking for an ATM first, is this also to the right. Always confusing when you first arrive after a long flight.

When you say buy a sim and a top up at the same place. I am not sure, normally when you buy a sim in Australia it has a certain amount of credit on it. If I buy a top up at a seven eleven, do I then need to phone up to get that activated. Just want to be as organised as I can.

It is important that my husband and I have active phones in case we get separated, which has happened before (without phones) and caused a lot of stress.

Thanks again

Janderra