We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Semi-precious stones

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Semi-precious stones

Where can I buy Semi-precious stones in Bangkok?

Is there any cheap markets, for locals; As tourism markets are expensive.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
137 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Semi-precious stones

Which stones and how many pcs/carats are you looking for?

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
930 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Semi-precious stones

i wouldnt risk it....lots of horror stories on here regarding jewellry.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Semi-precious stones

Agree, unless you know exactly what you are looking for and can tell what's what and what's not then don't bother.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Semi-precious stones

Please do your homework, know what you are buying. Gem scams are one of Bangkok most popular scams. Lots of people evolved in this scam both, foreigners and Thais. Just Google" Bangkok gem scams" and see all the things that come up . Many things written on this scam in TripAdvisor also.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Semi-precious stones

Your question alone shows that you know nothing about stones. A stone is precious or not precious. "semi precious" is a term which is no longer used. Do your homework about stones before you buy from rajrao. He seems to abuse the forum.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Semi-precious stones

Yes, go an buy loads of gems. Believe whatever the salesperson says about the quality, grading and the potential profit you're sure to make when you return home. If something goes wrong when you get home, you can just send them a quick email and they'll be sure to fix your concerns.

Then you can come back to TA and start a thread about how you can't trust gem dealers in Bangkok. That's typically how it works isn't it?

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
930 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Semi-precious stones

Gold,,gems etc have market values and are the same world wide...think about it,an ounce of gold or a carat of stone is worth the same anywhere in the world.

But if you Vant a cheap tuk tuk ride and buy some nice glass then go ahead

Pat

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
137 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Semi-precious stones

NomadicForever - I don't sell gemstones.

If I have abused this forum, why have you not reported to TA yet?

regards,

raj rao

Edited: 25 June 2012, 06:47
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Semi-precious stones

rajrao - may be I should follow your suggestion.

Every enquiry about gemstones you ask "how many cts., what stones".

You may not be a dealer yourself but your posts strongly show you have contacts..... I remember your offer to another enquiry to help to make the contact to a dealer.

No different to the scammers on tailor threads.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Semi-precious stones

Effff - there is no special market where Thais go to buy stones. If you know the trade and your stones you know the ct. price approx. and how much to pay. Not quite the same world wide but close enough. Best bet for you would be Bangkok Gem show approx 7 Sept. You can get familiar with dealers, see endless stones of different quality, and you make contacts who to buy from in future.