We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

I am arriving at the Bangkok airport at midnight – by myself. (To arrive during the daytime lengthens the total flight time by 50%.)

It is my understanding that all regular airport transportation will have stopped. Will it be safe to take a taxi? Or should I stay at an airport hotel the first night?

I’ve been to Bangkok before but have no memory of the airport situation. We arrived during the day and someone else was navigating. Thus, experienced advice would be appreciated.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,666 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

Hi,

By that time the rail link into the city will have stopped. You can take a taxi or limo but do read this link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c116554/Thail…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

Thanks.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,574 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

Many thousands of tourists do arrive late at night. There are taxis available from the airport that can take you to your hotel. These taxis are reliable but you should read up on some of the old posts to get the procedures down.

I think it is safe to take a taxi and have done so many, many times over the years. I always get them to use the meter and I abide by the terms of paying the 50 baht surcharge at my destination along with the meter fare. You pay the toll charges during the ride. For safety, some women tourists take the time photograph the driver and taxi number plate and actually, or pretend to, send the photo to a friend. Also, keep the receipt that the meter taxi sign up desk (Public Taxi) gives you. That receipt identifies the driver and tells you where to call to complain.

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/52

If you use the hotel at the airport it is expensive. A hotel in the city is cheaper than the airport hotel. Some hotels provide transportation if you pay for that transportation. They greet you at the airport, hold up a sign with your hotel and name on it and help you with your bags. Of course this will cost 2 or 3 times more than a meter taxi from the airport. So - cheaper hotel in the city plus the transportation they provide may still be cheaper than the airport hotel.

There is a cheaper hotel near the airport. The transportation fee is 500 baht round trip from airport to hotel back to airport for the Rail Link next day. Various priced rooms at this hotel.

http://999thai.com/

http://999thai.com/transfer.htm

Even if the Airport Rail Link and Skytrain was working they usually only take you close to most hotels. Many tourists still have to take a taxi anyway to complete the ride to your hotel.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 01:06
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

<<you should read up on some of the old posts to get the procedures down.>>

No. Please read our FAQs which have been compiled over a number of years of collective experience by Destination experts and frequent contributors:

and

(And Infidelal, I do wish you'd start linking to the FAQs as well.)

As Al said, don't imagine you're going to be flying into a dark and deserted airport. There will be hundreds, if not thousands, of people arriving after midnight. The airport will be busy. In any case, Bangkok tends to be a 24/7 kind of place. Staying all night at the airport is unthinkable unless you're on a shoestring budget and you have a flight out again at the crack of dawn.

The best thing would be just to take a taxi to a hotel in the city centre. After midnight, you needn't even pay for the Expressway, so you can save 70 baht. Just tell the driver "No highway." The total fare will be 250 baht or less, plus 50 baht airport surcharge.

But if you'd still rather spend the first night at a hotel near the airport, there are now many budget-priced hotels only 5 or 10 minutes drive from the airport, most of which offer a free transfer. We have a list here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c136691/Bangk…

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

Woman travelling alone? Please stay at the airport hotel or you can spend those 5 hours enjoying airport facilities Wait until dawn before you catch any transportation in town.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

On what are you basing this misguided suggestion?

As we've said, there are thousands of people arriving every night after midnight at Suvarnabhumi and safely going into town. Men and women, alone and in groups.

There are some safeguards built into the taxi dispatching system. You get a chit with your driver's name and number. Not every cab is allowed to pick up passengers at the airport.

If you really feel you can't trust a taxi, just take an AoT limo. It will cost you more, though and - in my opinion - it won't bring you many benefits compared to an ordinary taxi.

But - don't stay all night in the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

Hi Randi,

I'm a 58 year old woman travelling alone to Thailand in October. I often travel alone and generally take taxis from the airport, however this time I too am arriving very late at night.

I've therefore organised for my hotel's driver to pick me up. Yes, it is about 3 times more expensive than a taxi but I feel that I'll be tired and perhaps less 'with it' after a long flight and at that time of the night. I think the extra cost is justified just to eliminate any potential hassles that may occur with a taxi and to provide me with peace of mind.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

I think its absolutely no problem to take a taxi from the airport after midnight.

They actually note down the number of the taxi at the airport waiting que and you pay them a fixed fee of arround 300 to 500 Baht.

If you want to kknow more about the aiport situation i found that one-two-go travelguides givve quite a good overview of the whole arrival process at the airport.

Plus a description of what area and what hotels are reccommended for your arrival there.

one-two-go.com/e-guides_bangkok_sight.htm

They have a free preview of their guides on this page ( arround 20 pages of their books i think) which covers a lot of details on the transport from the airport to the city as well.

And you dont have to buy the book, since you can read the first 20 pages or so for free on their website. There all needed information for your arrival at Bangkok are covered already.

Cheers and hope it helped

Kolkata, India
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

try www.thaitaxicall.com

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at midnight - take a taxi or stay at airport?

I don't think it's a problem arriving late, get the prepaid voucher and your off.