We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another question about tailors

Level Contributor
734 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Another question about tailors

Hi all

I need to have some shirts tailored (prob about 10) but have never considered or used a tailor in BKK. I usually leave my tailoring needs for HK but have no plans to visit in the near future. So I have 3 options:

1. Order from my tailor in HK via email (it means I have to select the fabric from pictures)

2. Use a tailor in BKK

3. Use a tailor in Koh Samui

Does anyone have an opinion on the best option? If BKK any recommendations for a tailor? Idea of approximate price - I pay approx £20-25 per shirt from my tailor in HK for a reasonably good quality of fabric and he throws in a few ties (I have used him quite regularly).

Time wise I have 8 days in BKK and 8 days in Koh Samui so that should be a problem, but slightly concerned at the negative reviews tailors get on the forum.

Thank your your suggestions

Dr J

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another question about tailors

DrJonesss,

The skills required to make a shirt are not the same as those required for a suit and it is the latter, which, more often that not, seems to attract a high level of cynism by those posters who come across as anti Bkk tailors.

I have had my share of bad experiences at first but I have been very pleased since I have placed my business with Raja's Fashion (Soi 4) where Bobby Gulati seems to be doing a fine job and I have reviewed them here

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

The material I choose for my shirts is Egyptian Cotton and until last visit I have been paying 1,200 thb per shirt. During my first visit I will have my fittings taken, choose the materials and discuss my requirements. I will go back to try one or two of the shirts before collecting the full order.

May I suggest that if you have a style of shirt you like, you bring it along with you as that will assist them to make a faithful reproduction.

Other posters may have their favourites and by all means shop around and follow your instincts.

Happy tailoring

Giorgio Federico

Level Contributor
734 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another question about tailors

Hey Giorgio

Thank you... I am going to bring a shirt as I'm quite particular about the style (collars/cuffs etc).

I didn't want to shop around for a tailor to much, a solid recommendation, get my shirts made and can continue with my holiday! I do need suits as well but that can wait until my next trip to HK :)

As for price 1,200 is reasonable... A good off the peg in London would cost a lot more anyway!

Thanks for your help

Dr J

Edited: 20 April 2012, 03:46
Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another question about tailors

Jones

Another further rec that I will make to you is Crown Tailors in sukhumvit soi 8. This is a tried and trusted tailor that I have used for amany years now and they have always suited my needs and met the standards that i have for my tailor made clothes.

I don't think Raja's and Crown are too far apart and if you are getting some rec's here, i'd walk over and check them all out. Worth a 30 minute walk to get an idea of what everyone has got.

Have an awesome time in Bangkok!

UK
Level Contributor
885 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another question about tailors

Yes I agree with garyphil- Crown are very good at shirts and I have caught up with them when Sam comes to London. He shuts his shop on Sundays though. I would have thought 10 would give you some bargaining power

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another question about tailors

I think I will give Crown ago my next visit.Crown have been recommended quite a bit on this forum.

I have been into their shop and seems OK.

Raja's is indeed very close , they advised me that they could not make a pair of ladies pants in 3 days, so I went to the other Raja shop on Sukhumvit Road, thinking that they were connected.

The pants they made did not fit properly so deemed useless.

I only want ladies pants made.

UK
Level Contributor
885 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another question about tailors

Hi Marley-I do believe you will be safe with Crown- but do try the finish item before you go. Sam did screw up a pair of trousers for my Son's GF. The kids had left town before they were finished and had them sent on to Krabi Full credit to Sam he took the hit, replaced and sent to UK at no cost but no one needs the hassle.. So whoever you chose my opinion is give yourself and the tailor time to make and adjust if needed-is worth the effort

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another question about tailors

Thanks Dave

Level Contributor
734 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another question about tailors

Hi All

Thank you for the additional suggestions.... will give both a try (may be even place a order with both for 5 shirt each).

Dr J

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another question about tailors

got to know Pinky, my tailor over 20 years ago when I was living in Bangkok, tried several tailors but always returned to Pinkys.

After my time in Bangkok I have returned every year (and still do) and thereafter also introduced his services to my husband and even some other great friends (also big airline bosses from Europe) and Bangkok expats - they all are still happy after several years of tailoring.

Some time ago I noted that Pinky had been noted in one of the new city guides - Bangkok City Scoops -which is the independet guide to hot spots, hidden finds and real experiences. He told that the writer also knows him during several years and that he never knew that he was a journalist.

Pinky has been very honest and knows exactly what material suits to what garment, I trust on him totally. No comission busines in his shop.

Pinky has all kind of materials, from fine italian mixtures and cashmirs to basic and cheaper thais and of course silks and silk mixtures. You can also bring your own material if needed.

No-one will visit his store by accident, no advertising or "cheap offers" here! Pinky's shop is well hidden behind the old Mahatum Plaza about 3 min walk from Ploenchit BTS station and you can find his store if you know what you are looking for.

10. Re: Another question about tailors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:47