We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

Does this bus still run? I arrive in Bangkok in two weeks and want to head down to Krabi on an overnight from Sai Tai. Budget is tight so would rather bus it rather than fly. Would like to keep it simple though and a direct and cheap option like no. 556 is perfect if it's still going.

Anyone know if it is?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

According to previous postings it now leaves from Makkasan station. You will be able to take the train there (city link) from the airport for 40 or 45 baht.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

And Sai Tai has moved temporarily to the Holland Beer Hall (yes really) in Rama 2 Road due to flooding. I understand that there is some kind of shuttle transfer from Sai Tai to Holland Beer.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

If the floods clear you take the SRL to Makkasan for 35 baht, and immediately outside the station exit, by the taxi queue, you wait for the 556, which takes you to Sai Tai Mai. HOWEVER, if Thonburi is still flooded, and it could well be, 556 may not take you to where you want to go. The bus routes are very confused at the moment, as I have found out myself, and on many occasions they take a completely different route to what you would expect. It might be better to get to Makkasan and then take a taxi to Holland Beer Hall as bbtony suggests.

Good luck

Alan

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

Make sure you specify Holland Beer in Rama 2 Road, as they have a couple of other locations too. "Rong Beer Holland Param Song".

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,740 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

I would take a taxi straight from the airport to the temporary bus terminal at the Holland Beer hall on Rama 2. Nothing to be gained by going to Makkasan, except putting yourself into the most traffic congested part of the city. A taxi would take the expressway most of the way there. See the map: http://g.co/maps/5dv2r

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

Thanks for the replies guys. Rama Rd i understand will/or is being flooded so wanted to know if the temporary station on Rama Rd is indeed still operatinh.

Any ideas?

7. Re: Bus 556 from suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai bus station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 10:47