We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayutthaya - tour or go on your own?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ayutthaya - tour or go on your own?

we are planning a day trip to Ayutthaya when we are in bangkok sometime in the 2nd week of Jan (hopefully no more flooding).

#1 should do a tour? any recommendations? we are staying on Silom Road. what is the price range per person?

#2 if we go by ourself - should we take the train, bus or minivan? I know we should take the boat ride coming back ... how do you book all these routes? what are the prices?

if we take the train, bus or minivan up to Ayutthaya, how far is the walk? how do you get around too all the places? i read a lot of different ways, but what is best ... price wise too so we know what to expect.

thank you so much for any input. amanda :)

Co Van Kessel Bangkok Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Boat Tours
Follow Me Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Bangkok Food Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,810 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ayutthaya - tour or go on your own?

Take a van for 70 baht (60 minutes) and when you get to Ayutthaya head for the train station, not far away. There you can hire a licensed guide with a tuktuk for 1000 baht for the full day. He'll take you to all the historical sites and temples, explain the significance, and wait while you wander around on your own.

No need for any pre-booking. Vans from Victory Monument are frequent. http://flic.kr/p/9BVCUs Guides are plentiful. Start very early, wear a hat and take drinking water.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 02:31
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ayutthaya - tour or go on your own?

I would take a private tour with air con car, guide and driver. Ayutthaya is baking hot and its spread over a large area. You'll really appreicate that air con as it heats up. It can be 40+ by mid day. Also, if you're in a car with your own guide and driver you can linger more over bits you like and cut short bits you're not so keen on. Its a hassle free way to see Ayutthaya.

We went with a company called SalaThai travel (we googled them). we've been with them on a number of tours in and around bangkok. They have a brilliant website and what you see is what you get. They have about four different Ayuttahya tours.We plumped for the full day summer palace and ruins tour, which was excellent but exhausting. With hinsight though If I'd known how hot it was I would have gone for the half day ruins tour followed by a cruise down river back to Bangkok.

It cost us (2 years ago) 3600 bhat for 2 of us and that included the car, driver, and tour guide, all petrol, entrance fees and bottle water and cold towels and lunch. We found it to be a lot cheaper than other companies and

its one price whereas many private guides quote a price and everything else (transport, petrol site fees etc) is all on top. We're also quite fussy and have been to Bangkok 7 times now so we like to tailor make our own tours and Sala Thai are very amenable and will add or take off bits from the standard tour at no extra cost. The guides have always been very knowledgeable and speak good English.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ayutthaya - tour or go on your own?

hi,

i read SalaThai travel, but i am kind of confused ...

1 = 7000thb

2 = 4800thb (that means 2 or more people going) or the price of 2?

i emailed them. i will research the van too so we have options. thank you :)

4. Re: Ayutthaya - tour or go on your own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 20:48