We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best things to buy in Bangkok

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best things to buy in Bangkok

I saw a very interesting thread of conversations on the same topic for Phuket. I am travelling throughout Thailand and Malaysia for 6 weeks as from 1st July. What are the best things to buy in Bangkok?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best things to buy in Bangkok

Hi,

That really depends on what you're interested in... For me, and this is hugely personal, I like Thai made fabrics-- be that silk or otherwise.. I also like artwork by local and up-and-coming local artists... but again, what you should buy depend on you..

What are your interests?

Travel Safe,

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best things to buy in Bangkok

Ironically, many things that can be bought in Thailand at markets are cheaper......... in Bristol! Of course, if you speak the language and are savvy as to exactly what you are buying, this isn't the case. I just bought a thai silk shirt in a Bristol market for 10 quid - the same shirt would have cost the same or more in Bangkok. Go figure!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best things to buy in Bangkok

I agree with GOPBI that it really depends on what you're interested in, but to try to answer from my own point of view, I think copy watches can be fun. There are some lovely scarves around in MBK, Robinson's in Sukhumvit is good for shoes with a huge range of everything. T-shirts and copy polo shirts all over the place at around 200 baht each, both long and short sleeve.

Having talked about shoes, I think that the range in Malaysia is terrific and probably better than BKK. I have loads that I've bought there over the years and they' are still good.

If you're looking for little gifts there are loads to choose from - all sorts of things so I'm sure you'll have a ball.

Edited: 26 May 2011, 16:54
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best things to buy in Bangkok

Thanks so much for the replies. I am particularly interested in beauty products, clothes and homewares but anything else that is cheaper than home. My plan is to try to travel very light (a real challenge) and buy lots on the trip. Disappointed to hear many things are cheaper in Bristol but hey, sure we will pick up many bargains.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best things to buy in Bangkok

You can get beauty products, clothes and homewares all at MBK Mall, and just about anything else you can think of as well. We had a great afternoon there - it is a huge shopping mall that is full of market style stalls. Bartering is the way of most of the vendors there, but a few have priced goods that you can really only get a discount if you buy several items.

If you also check the Phuket thread, everything I have seen listed there you can also buy in Bangkok. Usually for slightly cheaper prices.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
958 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best things to buy in Bangkok

I like to buy handbags (from MBK) and nice thai style plates (got some that were green and shaped like leaves and from Chatachuk last time but sure they would be in MBK too) - tried to google some and this was the closest I could get.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43395275@N08/4084999067/in/photostream/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best things to buy in Bangkok

Hi there,

I bought a lot of "souvenir" type things and some copycat bags from MBK and the markets. I also picked up some masks and carvings.

But my favorite purchase from Bangkok was my tailor made suits and trousers. I'm very tall (1.83m) and it's tough to get ladies clothing at those sizes. I went to a place called Cotton House in the Oriental Place shopping complex close to Mandarin Oriental. Speak to Mrs Reed and she will set you up fabulously. Make sure you have time for two fittings and you will not be disappointed with the final result! If you have some favorite items you want copied in another color or fabric (I did this for some trousers) those are the easiest items to get made.

Good luck and have fun!

J&B

8. Re: Best things to buy in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2012, 09:46