We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Tablets

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
738 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria Tablets

I posted on here last week asking about how easy it is to buy malaria tablets in Bangkok.

I had some great replies so thank-you.

What I need to know now is would I be able to get the brand Choroquine Phosphate as that is the best dose for me.

Once again thanks

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Tablets

What malarial parasites there are in Thailand are largely chloroquine-resistant, meaning that taking chloroquine phosphate will probably not do much to help prevent malaria.

In addition, aside from isolated rural and forested areas on the borders with Burma, Cambodia and Laos, there is little danger in Thailand of contracting malaria.

I have no idea if this medication is available in Thailand.

By the way, it's "chloroquine." That may help you when you google for more information.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Tablets

Check with your doctor and see if you can get by with Doxycycline. Doxy is easy to get all over Thailand and it is cheap.

Read the instructions that are always available at the pharmacy. Check the expiration date too.

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/malaria.htm

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Tablets

You need to worry about Dengue Fever more and there is nothing you can take against it except to cover up and wear lots of repellent, particularly in the mornings and evenings, but these mozzies bite all day. Sunscreen with repellent is useful.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Tablets

Agreed; Malaria is a very tiny risk, while Dengue Fever is a substantial one.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Tablets

As Bill2P posted, most mosquitoes are chloroquine resistant. Why on earth are you using malaria prophylactics anyway? They won't help against the far more prevalent Dengue fever.

6. Re: Malaria Tablets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 17:46