We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking

Berkshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking

Can anyone tell me if you can smoke in outside eateries/Bars or by the pool. We are staying at

the Sheraton Grande Sukhumit in Feb 09. I have read

that you cant smoke in public areas but does that

include outside!! I know Im a naughty girl but I

do enjoy a cigarett with my Gin & Tonic

Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
336 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking

As I understand it smoking is banned in airconditioned environments. I smoke outside in Thailand and have never been admonished. Just don't drop butts on the ground. I carry a little portable ashtray with a lid.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking

Smoking outdoors only.

And yes watch where you drop those cigerette butts, its a B2000 fine, negotiable of course.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking

Fay,

I would double check with your hotel about outside areas.

The Marriott Resort and Spa no longer allow smoking in any of their public areas including grounds/around the pool. You can only smoke in the confines of your hotel room.

Sarah

xx

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking

Lots of hotels now ban smoking in the pool area but usualy have another area set aside outside for smokers.

The official wording is only for "air conditioned" areas but many have chosen to extend it.

Definately get yourself a portable ashtray £1.20 from tescos for a real basic disposal tube.

Chris

Berkshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking

Thank you all very much for your info.I will pick up

one of those ashtrays the next time Im in Tesco.

However what a palava!!! My husband is a non smoker

and thankfully has no problem with me or anyone else

that smokes. I think the whole non smoking thing is

ludicrous. What about smokers human rights!!! ha ha

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking

"I think the whole non smoking thing is ludicrous."

Yes, one has to wonder why anyone would even start!

;-)

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking

Hi;

Yes. I agree humain right Does not protect smokers in this case . Personaly, I quit smoke decades ago just for my own financial & health reasons.

Things get very tough in the USA these days . You Can't even smoke in your own homes in some part of the country and renters can't smoke in their apartments either.

Go Green planet by quit Smoking !

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking

Smoking in non smoking areas is a normal thing in Thailand lol for Thai locals tho. But if the hotels prohibit smoking then don't smoke, smoking in outdoors is permitted throughout Thailand except for places like bus stops, restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.

If you go partying in clubs and bars, smoking is prohibited inside but not outside.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking

Alas..

Seems like you can't smoke everywhere now in an air-con room

but outside is no prob

10. Re: Smoking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 07:46