We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

london
Level Contributor
400 posts
14 reviews
12 helpful votes
Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

Hi,

We want to go to the Grand Palace and Golden Buddha in May. What shoudl we where. We have teenagers with us - can they wear trainers? What sort of trousers and do they need to be in long sleeved shirts?

What about women?

thanks.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

Dress code for the Grand Palace is quite strict. Trainers are Ok, but no flipflops etc. Long trousers and decent shirts for men, no sleeveless T shirts. Women much the same, slacks Ok, or knee length skirt. No bare shoulders or deep cleavage.

They have clothes for hire near the entrance, but you don't know who else has worn them... The Temple of the Emerald Buddha inside the Grand Palace is the most sacred place in Thailand.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,374 posts
73 reviews
148 helpful votes
2. Re: Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

there were women next to us trying to enter the Grand Palace with long, but sheer skirts (legs clearly visible) - they were turned back....

I purposely wore my ugly Keens with toe coverage (10 years ago it was a lot stricter - toes HAD to be covered) but people I was with in Tevas got in with no problem.

Asia
Level Contributor
911 posts
273 reviews
503 helpful votes
3. Re: Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

Hmm...it depends on how zealous the guys at the entrance are in enforcing the unwritten dress code. Three rules of thumb to guarantee admission:

1) proper footwear covering the toes;

2) trousers or skirts should be of at least knee length;

3) T-shirts are acceptable provided they do not have lewd images or slogans. Tops need not be long-sleeved, short-sleeved or cap-sleeved tops are acceptable.

Plus, caps and sunglasses should preferably be removed prior to entering the temples. Good luck.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
163 posts
28 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

OK, sorry for the question, but everywhere says...long trousers...

Does that include Jeans? My Boyfriend only wears shorts or jeans and just checking to see if the jeans, (YES IT WILL BE HOT) will work for him.

I will wear long Skirt.

Thanks. 8 Days till departure

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
21 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

If you wear jeans with tears in them (yes people actually pay extra for jeans with holes and tears in them lol) you will get turned back ....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
117 helpful votes
6. Re: Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

Hi TXFigment- another Dallas traveler! If you are still posting on this forum, would you please tell me if jeans worked at the temples? My husband would far prefer jeans to walking around all day in khakis. :) Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7. Re: Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

You also asked about the Golden Buddha. There's no dress code to visit here.

The Golden Buddha is located near to the entrance to Chinatown. If you have time explore this fascinating area. We got off at pier 5 after a long tail boat trip and walked down to pier 4 via Chinatown and the Golden Buddha. This can take a long time (especially if you get a little lost on the way) but worth the effort to see another side of Bangkok.

8. Re: Whats the dress code for the grand palace and golden buddha?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 16:48