We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
8 helpful votes
Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

Got really cheated in Bangkok. Hello fellow members who have been conned. We had exactly the same experience earlier today. Met by a Royal guard, sent to the Golden Buddha, then to a taxfree sale near Chitralada palace in a very cheaply priced Tuk Tuk. Ended up buying gems worth a few thousand pounds from this company called Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd. I would end up repeating exactly the same story as many of you. I have rung AMEX in the UK to try and stop the transaction. I feel extremely distressed and disappointed and helpless. Please advise me as to what I can do in the next 24 hours before leaving this country. Do I go to the police, do I go back to the store to seek a refund, do I get it valued here in BKK or back in the UK? It is Sunday the 6th of Jan and I am leaving tomorrow. Your urgent advise is very much appreciated. Many thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
1. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

Hi,

Done a quick google and came up with this site which may help you:

http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/Scams/Sapphire.shtml

Hope it's of some use and good luck.

sonny.

colorado
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

From what I know about Thais.

It's sometimes useless to inform to the cop. I'd rather inform the newspaper. The cop will pay more attention in your case.

You got overcharged? How?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

Thanks Sonny. Your link has been useful. I am still trying to find out how I can complain and get a refund.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
4. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

Have you tried going back to the shop and saying your here and you've run out of money and want to cancel the sale.

They may have a 7 day period of grace for you to change your mind about the sale.

The police may help but you cold also try the tourist authority of Thailand.

There is a kiosk outside of the front of MBK.

At all times be nice and smile and ask for peoples help.

Good luck getting your money back

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

Thanks to Breconion. I followed your advice and went back to the store. I had rung the Tourist police earlier who were not very helpful. There were lots of overseas customers at the store. The shop manager did not create a fuss and believe it or not put my money back on my AMEX card. I have to wait anxiously for the next 24 hours to see if the transaction has gone through (Fingers crossed). Thanks to all of you who helped me with my self inflicted problem !!! I have learnt my lesson and if I can give one advice to anyone going to Bangkok, please do not talk to strangers and stay away from dodgy "Govt. regulated jewellery stores".

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

happydas, if you had time, if you really wanted to put a stop to all this, putting this in the newspaper like someone mentioned above would be a great start to it!

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
10 reviews
114 helpful votes
7. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

I'm still confused about how exactly this was a scam happydas? Can you please ellaborate?

UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
8. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

have a look at the link i posted, should give you an idea.

sonny.

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

if you've been refunded via your AMEX card it would be a first for a jewellery shop in thailand.

good luck.

bkk3

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Jewellery scam - Royal Lapidary Co. Ltd
Save

i agree with bkk3 about that too!