We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok in a day

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Bangkok in a day

I’m travelling to Thailand first time in August with my husband and 2 children, we arrive late on the 15th so won’t have time for much and have the whole day on the 16th and leave early on the 17th to Phuket, my question is, what is relatively near that I can do and visit in a day? We are staying in an area called Patham Wan. I really wanted to visit the Wat Pho temple and maybe the floating market but not sure that is feasible in a day, can anyone recommend things to do and visit. I know it’s a short time but we really are beach people so wanted to save most of our holiday time for Phuket but didn’t want to travel without having visited Bangkok too

Thank you

9 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Bangkok in a day

Aug 16th is a Thursday so your only floating market option is Damnoen Saduak. It is in another province well west of Bangkok. If you join a tour you need to be prepared to be picked up at 6am, spending an hour picking up other customers and being back to your hotel about 3pm if you happen to be the last ones on the roster.

How late are you arriving? You can expect to be in your hotel two hours after landing. After 9pm it may be hard to book the floating market tour locally and you need to book on the Web which tends to be more expensive.

If you are willing to pay for a private tour you waste less time but it will still take half a day. Is that how you want to use your time?

With a private tour it should be possible to agree to be dropped off at Wat Arun instead of your hotel which avoids quite a bit of backtracking in Bangkok traffic. From Wat Arun you can ride the cross-river ferry to Wat Pho.

How old are your children? That is likely to dictate how energetic and adventurous you can be during the rest of the afternoon and evening. If you go to Damnoen Saduak you will be back in Bangkok for the hottest hours of the day.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
172 reviews
2. Re: Bangkok in a day

damnoen saduak (in my opinion) is nothing more than a tourist trap, there is little ;authentic' about it at all. If you just want to go for a photo opportunity fine but it is a long journey each way for a couple of photos.

I would suggest Wat Pho and maybe the Grand Palace with maybe a khlongs tour for an hour or two would be more pleasant and give you a better feel for Bangkok.

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Bangkok in a day

Thank you for your reply, my children are 2 and 5.

Talking it over with my husband we think the long journey there and back is probably not worth it, not for 1 day.

We definitely want to go to the temple though.

Is there anything else you can suggest we can do whilst in Bangkok?

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Bangkok in a day

This sounds more like what we want to do I think.

Can you please tell me what would be considered good clothing wear for the temples. I’m thinking a long dress and shawl to cover my shoulders but my husband is a bit less reluctant to go if he has to cover up in 35 degree heat lol also how strict are they for children’s clothing too?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,356 posts
177 reviews
5. Re: Bangkok in a day

I think you’ll need to play it by ear as to how your 2 very little ones cope. Chris’s suggestion would be ideal if the children can manage. The khlong tour would be interesting for you and restful for them.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: Bangkok in a day

A strict dress code applies. The Grand Palace with The Temple of the Emerald Buddha is Thailand's most sacred site. Visitors must be properly dressed before being allowed entry to the temple. Men must wear long pants and shirts with sleeves (no tank tops. If you're wearing sandals or flip-flops you must wear socks (in other words, no bare feet.) Women must be similarly modestly dressed. No see-through clothes, bare shoulders, etc. If you show up at the front gate improperly dressed, there is a booth near the entrance that can provide clothes to cover you up properly (a deposit is required)

Tee shirts are fine but not vest tops, long trousers are required and socks

Edited: 12 June 2018, 18:24
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Bangkok in a day

Many thanks, that helps loads

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
276 reviews
8. Re: Bangkok in a day

Grand Palace dress code

topworldresort.com/culture/bangkok-grand-pal…

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
80 reviews
9. Re: Bangkok in a day

Wat Pho is not that strict with the dress code...

Reply to: Bangkok in a day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted