We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating and drink.

Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eating and drink.

I have been told not to have a salad for dinner as they wash I in water and we will be sick. Is this correct?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating and drink.

I have eaten salad in restaurants all over Thailand and to date have never had any sickness.

I hae also travelled with my sister who has a slightly less resilliant didestive system to me and who eats a lot of salad and she has never had a problem either.

I don't know who has told you this but maybe they could give you more information on where this happened to them or are they just repeating some urban myth.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating and drink.

You might be more sick if they didn't wash the salad!

If it bothers you, then just eat freshly good food, which is plentiful and cheap.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,310 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating and drink.

Don't believe everything you are told. I can't recollect having an upset stomach from eating salad and neither can my partner.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
157 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating and drink.

I think this relates to the possibility that salad etc might be washed in local water which may not agree with some.

The general advice I have read is not to eat salad for this reason, but I guess from the replies to this question that most people don't seem to have had any problems - maybe worth asking what the salad has been washed in.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating and drink.

another not been sick and enjoy salads at restaurants. we wash our fruits with the sink water and no probs but I'm sure lettuce holds the water better.

give yum talay a try if your into seafood.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating and drink.

"maybe worth asking what the salad has been washed in."

Good luck with this question!

No problems eating salads. You might well have more problems eating food that is being warmed in a bain marie.

7. Re: Eating and drink.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:11