We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather August Koh Samui

Kiruna, Sweden
4 posts
Save Topic
Weather August Koh Samui

Hi, We are leaving for Koh Samui thai saturday and are staying for three weeks. Due to the weather prognoses it seems to be heavy rain during all three weeks :( I know that it normally rains a little bit every day, but then the sun should shine from time to time, right?

What are your experiences from Koh Samui in August?

Is it any weather site who is better then others?

Grateful for answers!! /Lina

6 replies to this topic
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather August Koh Samui

Heavy rain for three weeks? Really?

It hasn’t rained for six days here and the forecast says 20% probability of rain in the coming days.

Kiruna, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather August Koh Samui

To add: The site that say’s to expert heavy rain is Thai Meteorological Department - Surat Thani...good or bad?

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather August Koh Samui

TMD's weather warning relates to the southwest monsoon blowing over the Indian Ocean towards the Andaman Coast. Ko Samui is largely protected from the southwest monsoon being leeward about 100 km from the East side of the Malay Peninsula. The province Surat Thani (largely on the Malay Peninsula) mentioned by TMD gets a lot more rain than Ko Samui (which is also part of the province).

That's why during the European summer, the Andaman Coast (Phuket, Khao Lak etc.) gets up to 10 times more rain than Ko Samui and the other islands in the Southern Gulf of Thailand.

Kiruna, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather August Koh Samui

Yes, that’s what I have heard about Koh Samui, that it’s a great place to be if you want to avoid bad weather this time of year! I’ve been to Samui a couple of times But never this time a year. Now we’re bringing my husband’s family and I so badly want to show them how beautiful Samui can bee, hopefully some day at our trip with a little bit of sunshine. I talked with a weather meteorolgist from Swedish national television today, she Said that most likely there will be a lot of rain around Koh Samui following weeks. I really do hope that she is wrong, and that she doesn’t know the area that well..

Thank you for taking your time!

stockport
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather August Koh Samui

Do you ever know a weather forecaster to always be right?

It will be what it will be. Hope you have. Great time and good weather

Kiruna, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather August Koh Samui

True that! Still interesting to discuss the migthy weather ;) Thank you!

Reply to: Weather August Koh Samui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted