We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping over Christmas and New Years

1 post
Island hopping over Christmas and New Years

Hello! The husband and I will be island hopping over Christmas and New Years. We have 2 weeks of our 3 week trip to do this. I’d like to start in Phuket and work our way south before flying home from Kuala Lumpur.

I’m wondering if it’s nessesary to book accommodations in advance? I know it’s the busiest time of year. I really didn’t want to stick to set schedule of having to be somewhere. I like the idea of being able to pick up and move on if we want or stay somewhere a little longer. Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated!

2 replies to this topic
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,235 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Island hopping over Christmas and New Years

Definitely, unless you don't really care about the standard of accommodation and have plenty of money to pay for whatever is left, for what you will pay a hefty premium. Obviously the highest prices you will see are last minute in the short peak season, which is more expensive than high season

I'm going to 5 islands in Feb 2019, and I can see the prices going up & the availability going down already over the last month or so. I've been watching prices for about 3 months now, & yes, I have already booked every hotel for Feb 2019

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Island hopping over Christmas and New Years

Normally, I would say that it's not necessary to pre-book for an island-hopping trip. In fact, it defeats the purpose of being able to be footloose – jump onto an island, stay as long as you like and then move on to the next one when you please. But the Christmas and New Year period is ultra-peak season everywhere in Thailand, and some smaller islands might even get booked out. So, yes, book ahead.

For February, I don't think it's really necessary to pre-book but then again I'm not that particular on stylish accommodation for this kind of trip. Simple beach bungalows are fine and you find plenty of them on every island. In any case, August is too early to be booking for February. Hotels release their room contingents to discounters about three months ahead. So late October, early November would be the time to start looking.

Reply to: Island hopping over Christmas and New Years
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted