We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we really need backpacks?

Winnipeg, Canada
10 posts
Do we really need backpacks?

Couple, late 30’s travelling Bangkok to Krabi (Ao Nang Beach 5 days ) to Bangkok (Sukhumvit 5 days) to Koh Phangan (Haad Chao 5 days). Staying in mid range accommodations. Do we really need to buy backpacks or will our 24” spinners be ok? What are the things we need to think about?

6 replies to this topic
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Do we really need backpacks?

Hi

No

Take what you are comfortable with or already have. No need for a backpack unless that is your life style

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
99 reviews
2. Re: Do we really need backpacks?

Use whatever baggage you like. Some people find a small backpack handy for carrying their necessities during day trips. These may include sunblock, mosquito repellent, drinking water and tissue paper to be used in lieu of toilet paper which is not always provided in public toilets.

Your hotel room may have only one free electric outlet for charging your electronics. Problem solved if you bring a small power strip from home. Note that in Thailand electricity is 230 volts although the plug is often the same as in Canada.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,304 posts
3. Re: Do we really need backpacks?

Millions of tourists over the years have used old fashioned suitcases, some still do! I use a wheelie now. For walking around the city, on tours and shopping a small pack or small duffel bag can be helpful.

You will need something smaller for a carry on bag anyway. For my carry on I use the smaller bag for my computer, books to read, spare clothes in case I get stuck somewhere. Also for meds, hand cleaner, maybe snacks along with the small plastic baggie that holds your allowed liquids.

Up to you.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 22:38
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
529 reviews
4. Re: Do we really need backpacks?

Reading some posts would be helpful...Many posts have been written on this subject...

Winnipeg, Canada
10 posts
5. Re: Do we really need backpacks?

Thanks everyone! Your advice is all very helpful and appreciated.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,468 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: Do we really need backpacks?

Day pack is nice when out and about. But as far as main luggage, anything works, as you'll probably go from; plane/airport - taxi - hotel, in AC comfort. What it's packed in, is irrelevant, unless you actually plan on lugging stuff around on foot.

Then a backpack would be handy. Although, I've yet to carry luggage further than the car / taxi to hotel door. Why would you ?

Reply to: Do we really need backpacks?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted