We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

Cuncolim, India
13 posts
Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

Being an Indian citizen, I would need to apply for a visa on arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport.

However,there has been reported changes where both VOA as well as visa exempt tourists like British, US etc are being checked for 20,000 baht in cash along with Travel insurance?

Is this check being carried out at International Airports also or only at road border checkpoints when travelling into Thailand via Land?

Thanks

Guru

9 replies to this topic
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

Reported ??? .... at which bar stool .... ???

Not mandatory ..... YET .....

Cuncolim, India
13 posts
2. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

Loki, the bar stool is called Bangkok Post, your news outlet.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/151…

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

"The proposal was among various suggestions"......

..... yea, you'll see that in the news a couple times a year, and for as long as I can remember.

When you see this headline " All tourist MUST provide proof of travel insurance " ... then be concerned.

I'm personally not a fan of any type of insurance, but it is highly recommended to have by most people. Unless having an "oops fund" available.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 13:42
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
1 review
4. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

Yes nothing in that article says travel insurance is mandatory the article is about an idea being considered for some time in the future, which being Thailand could well be long after we are all dead and buried. As to the other part of your question yes it is required that you be able to show the equivalent of 20,000 Baht in cash and apparently you are much more likely to be asked to show this if you are entering on a VOA.

Cuncolim, India
13 posts
5. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

Thank you Loki and Mick.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,403 posts
177 reviews
6. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

No. Having travel insurance is not a requirement. However it’s only sensible as should you suffer an illness or be in an accident, then seeking care and treatment would be extremely expensive which could put your life at risk. But the decision is up to you.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

Hope this helps.

thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-on-arrival.php

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

Not mandatory.........BUT........IF planning on high risk activities, that other insurance won't cover, or prone to an oops now and then, without funds to finance yourself, then a good idea to have.

Read the FINE print. As yet another story of an oops, and NOT the fault, if reading correctly, of the injured.

Another "Fund My Irresponsible Travel please" ...:

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/08/26/09/45/tr…

Level Contributor
6,263 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?

"Another "Fund My Irresponsible Travel please" ...:

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/08/26/09/45/tr…"

That story doesn't even make any sense. Her insurance is covering her for her hospital bills in Thailand, but won't cover her back in Australia, which is normal as medical is free here for Austalians, so why she said she needs to pay out so much in her story is beyond me.

Reply to: Is Travel Insurance "mandatory" for VOA?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted