We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a beautiful, peaceful beach hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
looking for a beautiful, peaceful beach hotel

Hi! My wife and I are planning our trip to Thailand and want to visit some beautiful beaches. Saw Krabi and Railay beaches and read they were beautiful and less touristy than Phuket but looks like Phuket has a wider array of nice beach hotels. This portion of our SE Asia trip we're fine to spend more money on, so looking for something with nightly cost in the $175 - $200 range. I guess we don't need it to be on the beach if it's nice enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

5 replies to this topic
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,076 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a beautiful, peaceful beach hotel

When traveling will make a big difference as to beautiful and peaceful. Also those photos you saw, 'google image' again, but add the word 'crowded' or 'trash', for a different view.

Off-season, not so beautiful, the actual surf, on-season, not so peaceful. We always traveled to popular places on the cusp of season. Mar, Apr, May, Sept, Oct, and surf was usually safe to swim in, weather decent, and not too crowded. Although that was 8+ years ago, and seems all you mentioned, are more crowded than we'd like or would return to. Unrecognizable actually. More Euro and Italian food offerings than Thai on the shiny path.....LOL, and none better than NYC or S. Philly......LOL

Phuket, as you notice, more choices a short ride away. Krabi (province), more island choice, but logistical, along with getting day trippers to the nicer beaches, Railay for instance.

It's a mixed bag, and you really need to do your research. If resort bound, not so much playing in the surf, then opens more options, and your budget should find something decent surfside.

OK, just peeked at your other post Nov 20 for a month. Which case is high season, so scratch peaceful, relative to what your version is. With a month, you could do it all in Thailand easily.

May want to consider some mainland Gulf beaches, as I see you want to get off the tourist trail a bit, and easy to do, below Hua Hin to Chumphon. I'm personally not a fan of Samui, but think it's the wrong season anyway.

Mainland Gulf beaches (S-swimmable) would be Pranburi, Sam Roi Yoi (S), Prachuap Khiri Khan (S-Ao Manao), Bang Saphans (not a big of), Ban Krut (S-best), Thung Wua Laen (S-2nd best). Swimmable if surf cooperating.

Mainland gulf beaches easy logistics by limo van or train (an adventure in itself).

Gulf beaches will be like Gulf of Mexico, greenish tint water, and of course the Andaman Sea side, will have your lovely turquoise blue look to it, and be consistently clearer. Good / bad, lovely / popular-crowded.

TBO, they can all be fairly polluted at times, as Thailand is lacking in wastewater management facilities, and much of it, is dumped directly into the surf.

More research. Your other country choices, I'm only familiar with Laos, and only Vientiane area, which unless in the neighborhood (NE Thailand), I wouldn't make a special trip to, unless planning on make that a major part of the SEA trip, a week or more along the river.

ENJOY ... if thinking about mainland gulf, post again, may fill in some more details.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a beautiful, peaceful beach hotel

sbr282, you need to disclose when you plan to travel to get more meaningful answers.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,076 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for a beautiful, peaceful beach hotel

Nov 20 ish - Dec 20 ish https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29391…

Edited: 06 August 2018, 12:26
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for a beautiful, peaceful beach hotel

Have a look at Khao Lak. Maybe Meridien. Seems to check your boxes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for a beautiful, peaceful beach hotel

Thank you all for your suggestions! We are pretty set on visiting the beaches down in the Krabi/Phuket area. We want to do some snorkeling and island tours and maybe some jungle treks. But I'm still endlessly searching for accommodation. Made a short list but maybe I'm being too picky and need to just commit.

We're planning to visit the beaches Nov 26-30th. As I mentioned we want something a bit on the higher end. It's the "vacation" part of our month trip. So something beautiful preferably on the beach (or close) that has potential for pampering ha and yet still close enough to the action so we can go on excursions (trekking, island tours, snorkeling, etc.) Also, I've been searching TripAdvisor reviews for "vegan" because we'd rather not stay in a hotel that can't easily accommodate our diet. Similarly, we'd like to stay somewhere where vegan food is accessible also outside the hotel if possible (I saw Krabi beach has options like "Govinda's").

Hotels on my short list: Nakamanda Resort & Spa (not loving the location basically just because vegan food doesn't seem to be close by), Rayavadee Hotel (I mean, it's obviously beautiful and seems to accommodate vegans very well, but it's a bit out of our budget. looking to spend no more than like $200 per night), Koyao Island Resort, Krabi Home Resort (location issue again here).

Any ideas would be so helpful as I'm kind of running in a loop!

Reply to: looking for a beautiful, peaceful beach hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted