We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa help

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Visa help

Hi,

Did know somewhere to post this but hopefully someone can help.

I am wanted to get some advice on my travels.

It is more about visas than anything else.

I am travelling to China initially for a few days, so I have applied for a visa there.

Then I am going to Thailand from China by flight, so I think should I get a visa as I concerned in China without a visa to Thailand they might not let me board. I have a trip booked in Thailand and when there I am leaving via a land boarder cross into Laos, where hopefully I can obtain a visa on arrival as I will be flying out from Laos into Vietnam.

So I know I can obtain visa on arrival in Hanoi but I have read if I want the VOA then I need letter of approval. Do I really need this? It seems straight forward enough to get. However again once I done what I wanted to do in Vietnam, I am leaving Vietnam by boarder crossing at the Tinh Bien/Phnom Penh land boarder where I will go onto Cambodia. I am worried when I get to Hanoi they might say no I can't have a visa as I have no flight. So I am not sure if I should get a Vietnam visa in advance.

However, in Cambodia I do have a flight to Malaysia. So hopefully I can get my visa on arrival there. I know about e visas and these are not accepted at this particular land boarder as mentioned above for Cambodia.

Then from Malaysia I will fly into Singapore. I know being a UK resident I can get visa exemption with Malaysia and hopefully they will be happy with my flight out of Malaysia and into Singapore.

When in Singapore I have a flight out to Indonesia. I don't think I need a visa for Singapore.

Indonesia I think is the same no visa needed. Then I fly from Bali to Japan. Japan I know I don't need a visa and then I fly home.

I am going to be in these countries for less than 30 days so hopefully I should be okay but has anyone done something similar and what was their experience with visa.

I have been speaking to the respective embassies but it is nice to hear what others have done and experienced.

Thank you for reading

Tom

2 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Visa help

You should break this into smaller chunks and post them in the appropriate country forums. People don't need your entire itinerary each time, just your plans for coming to that country

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,443 posts
179 reviews
2. Re: Visa help

I agree with MrCycling. I’m going to read it again and see if I can answer at least some of it. All that I advise is assuming that you will be travelling with a UK passport, if not, then disregard.

Your flight from China to Thailand without POOT (proof of onward travel), for which you need a booked flight, will probably be a problem. If you sort that out, you don’t need a visa for Thailand. You will be stamped in with a visa exemption for 30 days for the purpose of tourism.

Your VOA for Laos will be $35US and you’ll need one passport size photo.

Easy to get a VOA when you arrive in Cambodia. $30US plus one passport size photo. You don’t need POOT.

You’re right. You don’t need a visa for Indonesia. Again you’ll be stamped in visa exempt for 30 days. When you arrive, don’t forget to take your boarding pass with you as the immigratiion official will want to sight it.

Hope some of that helps.

Reply to: Visa help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted