We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking accomodation in advance?

Invercargill, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Booking accomodation in advance?

Off to Koh Samui for couple of weeks (flying in and out) soon as a 'base' Looking at spending a few days at Krabi (no definite dates until I get to Koh Samui) wondered how difficult to find accomodation if I go Krabi and try find somewhere then. Any suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking accomodation in advance?

If traveling soon Krabi province will be in the rainy season which peaks in September-October. There should be plenty of available accommodation.

I would still research the likely places online in advance to avoid wasting time and effort traveling around looking for a suitable place. Higher-end hotels probably need to stick to their regulations and you are likely to get a lower rate online than the rack rate they would offer to walk-in customers. In a guesthouse you might get a lower rate as a walk-in by asking.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,073 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking accomodation in advance?

If you arrive late at night my advice is to have a definite place to head for! The month you show up could affect availability and prices.

There is a Krabi and Koh Samui forum too.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g20992…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g14999…

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking accomodation in advance?

Quite easy to book anywhere on short notice. I wouldn't book much in advance, as you obviously having planned much or are familiar with the locations. May not like your destination when arriving, then stuck with your hotel. Book first nights only.

Invercargill, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking accomodation in advance?

Went to Krabi a long time ago (in my youth). I mite take your advice and maybe book one night to start with and take it from there. I guess 3-4 days would be a taster for future trips.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking accomodation in advance?

You're not going to recognize a lot of places. A mere 5 yrs, can drastically change a location, unless already maxed out on building area, when last time visited. Which guessing, isn't the case for you.

So many areas, have drastically changes since I first visited, and as stated, mere 5 years. Areas extremely popular and built up already, just a bit more so, won't be too noticeably change. Such as Pattaya or Patong over a 5 or even 10 year period.

Though others nearby or different areas may drastically be changed, such as Hua Hin over the last 10 years.

If logistically challenged, than not much market demand for building up, such as Prachuap Khiri Khan (municipality), and places like Ban Krut, or Thung Wua Lam over the last 5 to 10 years.

Samui and Krabi areas will be drastically different from memory. ENJOY

Reply to: Booking accomodation in advance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted