We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myanmar/Thailand in December

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Myanmar/Thailand in December

Hello all! I was planning a solo trip to Thailand in December but more and more, I've been wanting to see Myanmar as well. I have 3 weeks (starting mid December and through the holidays) and I've been trying to figure out how to time this. So a few questions:

I have heard that you have to book everything well in advance for Myanmar - no winging it. But then I also understand traveling through the country can be difficult and not always timely, so how can you book things when you may not make it there? So a little unsure what to do there.

Also - and I know a lot of people say stick to Myanmar, but... I have been trying to figure out how much time to allot to each country. I don't know when I will get this kind of time again (I have never been on vacation this long) and I honestly don't know when I will be able to get back to this part of the world. I really want to see both. I'm planning to spend new year's in Chiang Mai. Other than that, I don't have anything planned.

For Myanmar, I was thinking Yangon, Bagan, Inle Lake, and maybe Mandalay? I don't know what else yet, if anything. I've only just begun research.

For Thailand I was thinking (when I thought I was going there for the full three weeks so I'm sure this is more than I can do now) Railay, Koh Lipe or Koh Lanta (maybe), Ratchaprapha Dam, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pai (maybe) - I hadn't finished planning when I realized I couldn't get Myanmar out of my head.

I've traveled solo before, but that was to Iceland which was super easy. I'm a little anxious about this one, but I really want to go! Any input, comments, suggestions, help in general would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

8 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Myanmar/Thailand in December

You can book flights and hotels online for both countries. But I wouldn't hang around because mid December through Christmas/New Year is high peak. Busy and high prices.

Your plan for Burma sounds good. Maybe 10 days.

Another 10 days for Thailand but you don't have time for all the destinations you list. Maybe 3 or 4 days in CM followed by 6 days relaxing down south at an island beach resort.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
281 reviews
2. Re: Myanmar/Thailand in December

Hi

You would be traveling during the peak tourist period, advice would be booking the hotel in advance.

You have on hand about 21 days to play with, technically about 16 days of actual sightseeing while the rest are commuting.

For Myanmar leg, those place listed are good especially Lake Inle in December. As much as possible, use internal flight to connect Yangon with Bagan, Bagan to Mandalay. Bus in Myanmar is about patientce

Chiangmai, Chinagrai in December is good for traveling and weather is cooling there. You can either do the western loop based from Chiangmai (the Mae Hong San Loop, MHS) or the Eastern Loop swing into Chiangrai (passing by Mae Khajan, & Mai Suai), Doi Tung, Chiang Saen, Chiang Khong, Chiang Kham, Phayao then back to Chiangrai.

The MHS loop will need about 5 -6 days of road traveling, while the Eastern loop about 8 - 10 days

toronto
Level Contributor
860 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Myanmar/Thailand in December

I was in Myanmar last December and I just winged it (booked accommodation only 1-2 days in advance), had no problem. Also 10 days to do "the big 4" is a little rushed IMHO, also it's a little over-rated (especially Inle Lake). My best experiences there were away from the touristy areas.. I liked Yangon though most people go there because that's where they fly in and out. Air Asia flies to DMK-MDL and if you did that you could cut out Yangon and have more time in the North. I just booked DMK-MDL return for 2,200B - for next Feb.

Have a great trip.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Myanmar/Thailand in December

But Craig if you cut out Yangon you miss Shwedagon Pagoda plus all the lovely old colonial architecture of the city. Just a couple of nights surely?

toronto
Level Contributor
860 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Myanmar/Thailand in December

Bill, don't disagree, I very much liked Yangon but I was just giving the OP an alternative. There are plenty of great things to see and do all over Myanmar (not just the "big 4"), in 10 days you can really only scratch the surface.

I've been to Bangkok a half dozen times and have still yet to go to the grand palace LOL.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Myanmar/Thailand in December

Has it been closed when you have been there? :-)

Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Myanmar/Thailand in December

If you have a chance to make it to Railay, it's our favorite place in the world and we've been to 33 Countries. You can spend 3 days on Railay and not get bored. SO Gorgeous!! I actually made a full guide to Krabi Thailand here: www.chaseforadventure.com/2018/09/02/krabi/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Myanmar/Thailand in December

Actually, Railay is at the top of my list!! I will check out that lini. Thanks!

Reply to: Myanmar/Thailand in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted