We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba in Thailand

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
44 posts
175 reviews
Scuba in Thailand

Hi, I've done some research on this topic, but I want to get a better idea. We are planning a trip to Thailand next April/May. we're going to mix in some adventurous activities with some R&R. We want to definitely do some scuba. What is the best place to Scuba in Thailand?

We're looking for a place where we can stay at a hotel as opposed to the Similan Islands where I heard there's good scuba, but no place to stay besides a boat. Also, when I say "good scuba" I mean good visibility with lots of different wildlife to see. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

1 reply
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15 posts
230 reviews
1. Re: Scuba in Thailand

Hi Folks,

Besides the Similans (which were great) I had really good dives near Ko Phi Phi. Check out "Adventure Dive Club" on Phi Phi island. Lots of reef sharks and a giant sea turtle.

Or go to Nai Thon beach on Pukhet. The dive shop is called "Aqua Divers". They have an artificial coral reef nearby, that started with airplanes and helicopters submerged on purpose to creat a new dive site. It is called "Tempelhof", after the airport in Berlin. Some parts of the underwater site are damaged from rough seas during the off season or so I heard. Check their web-site for more info.

At the "Mermaids Dive Centre" in Pataya I passed my wreck diver course.

Ko Tao was excellent for my rescue diver course.

For wild life I think Ko Phi Phi was the best.

Good visibility depends heavily on the weather. After rain or/and storm the visibility is bad no matter where you go. I remember a few years back on Ko Tao: We were able to see the bottom of the ocean some 30 metres below from just under the surface. The next day, after heavy rain during the night, the visibility was reduced to less than a metre and I saw only the flippers of the instructor a few centimetres before my goggles...scary but adventurous nevertheless. Felt like cave diving.

Anyway...happy diving!

Reply to: Scuba in Thailand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted