We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

Not sure why the thread was close. I would like to know what you do. I would have no idea who to phone if there was an accident. If they are already dead I suppose you at least are in luck as you can ignore them. Does TA allow us to know what we should do and who we should phone?

15 replies to this topic
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

Hi

Do you mean Thai local or your friends or other tourists? Are you the first one on the scene? Too many variables.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

The thread that was closed had Thai888 written at the end. I had no idea what that meant but it seems that’s the name of the law firm who were trying to get a free ad on TA.

The question is a good one though so I can’t see this one being deleted.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,469 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

Pretty sure it was closed for 'self promoting'

In the event of anything, you have questions about, especially a death, serious injury or possible legal assistance, as a tourist or expat, your Embassy should be able to help, or point you in the right direction.

If anything like the USA Embassy, in death, they'd be the first to be notified, if not by you or someone you know, travelling with, then police would notify. Actually the police's legal responsibility to notify.

Legal matters, they / Embassy can't recommend anyone specific, but have a list of trusted people, professionals for services that are usually asked about or needed; lawyers, notary services, translation services.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 15:00
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
4. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

"Do you mean Thai local or your friends or other tourists? Are you the first one on the scene? Too many variables."

So if you witness an accident and there is blood and guts all over the place do you seek help or shrug your shoulders and say too many variables.

I certainly wouldn't know who to phone in Thailand for an emergency, might be a good idea to know the answer.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

As Loki said, first contact your embassy. They are there to help their citizens through times of crisis.

The US Embassy has a section of their website dealing with all aspects that you may need to deal with.

https:/… Other embassies in Thailand probably have similar information and services available.

Another source of information that should be on your call list would be your travel insurance provider. Most policies have provisions for death while traveling and their people have dealt with the procedures many times over.

The last thing you should do is contact some unknown law firm who is advertising via forum spam.

6. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 August 2018, 15:33

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,469 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

Apparently common sense isn't so common. But ..... the Phone Numbers in # 6, should be on your person, in your phone, before even arriving to Thailand.

Along with reading that pamphlet in your hotel room with any additional, local info that you hope you won't need.

Take a peek at the 'emergency exit' diagram while you're at it. Along with seeing what's out your window or balcony, JIC.

Hope for rainbows and unicorns, prepare for the worst.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 15:26
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
8. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

I will certainly add them into my phone now. Ashamed to say all the years I have been going to Thailand I wouldn't have had a clue who to contact.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

My bad, fat fingers and small phone screens ... lets try again with the tourist police number.

"I certainly wouldn't know who to phone in Thailand for an emergency"

Police - 191

Tourist Police - 1155

Ambulance - 1669

Fire - 199

Same numbers work country wide.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
1 review
10. Re: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand

According to this (2015) Bangkok Post article Thailand has adopted the American 911 emergency number.

https:/…new-emergency-number-911

Edit but the numbers provided by MrC still work for the individual services.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 15:37
Reply to: What to do if somebody dies or has an accident in Thailand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted