We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China to Bangkok visa advice

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
China to Bangkok visa advice

Hi,

Would anyone be able to help with visa info.

I am travelling to China for a few days in October and then heading out to Bangkok from China via flight.

So far I know I do not need a visa to travel in Thailand as a tourist as I can obtain one when I land. I am UK resident.

My only issue is do I need a visa for Thailand as I will be flying in from China. I don't want to get to the gate in Beijing and they say oh no you don't have a visa. I have read this some where that they won't me fly.

Plus the added issue is when I do get to Thailand I not sure how this will work, but I will be travelling on from Thailand into Laos within 30 days of coming to Thailand, but I will be crossing the board not flying into Laos. I have arranged travel for this bit but as a tour. I don't have a specific itinerary other than a receipt for the tour which I will bring with me, and there is nothing else the company can provide otherwise as proof of my onward travel. Surely the Thai Board people need to see some form of onward travel.

I suspect I won't really have a problem with Thailand but the back of my mind says get this checked out before you go.

I am going to speak to the Thai Embassy this afternoon and hopefully I will have some more answers then, but it would be nice to hear from other travellers who have done something similar.

Thanks,

Tom

4 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China to Bangkok visa advice

Yes you will have a problem because you will not have proof of onward travel (POOT) within 30 days. Intent, even if ticketed, to travel out of Thailand by means other than by air is not acceptable POOT. So you could be denied boarding in Beijing.

If UK passport you do not get a visa on arrival, you get a 30 day visa exemption stamp.

Either get a visa or buy a cheap throwaway air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, then you will be ok.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,932 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China to Bangkok visa advice

The POOT requirement is a problem for many people who will be leaving Thailand other than by a pre-booked flight. From what I understand there is no way to avoid this rule and you will more than likely be denied boarding in Beijing. You would be best to book a cheap flight which either you can cancel once you’re in Thailand, or socheap that the money loss wouldn’t be a problem.

Have a search through skyscanner and see what you find.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: China to Bangkok visa advice

Thank you very much everyone I think I will buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand for within 30 days as that might be better option.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China to Bangkok visa advice

Yes, you should be able to get something for around GBP 20 equivalent, quicker and easier than getting a visa.

Reply to: China to Bangkok visa advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted