We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Thailand as Couple

Poughkeepsie, New...
1 post
Traveling to Thailand as Couple

Hello,

we are planning a two week trip to Thailand in December. I was thinking we'd do one week in Phucket and one week in Bangkok. However, as I've been researching I've been seeing a lot of things about "thai bar girls" and the like and now I'm concerned that we may not have a good time going out at night because of this. I've watched videos and the streets and clubs seem to be packed with barely dressed girls begging for attention and customers. This is not really the type of environment we want while on vacation. Does anyone have suggestions as to what areas in Thailand we would enjoy as a couple? We're looking to relax and lounge a bit and then have some activities and fun. We're a young 28-31 y/o couple. So, my questions are: what areas are best for young couples looking to avoid the prostitution scene and what fun activities are there to do in those areas? Or should we just travel somewhere else?

3 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Traveling to Thailand as Couple

There are lots of places to go have a drink without "bar girls" as you call them. And even at a beer bar with girls, you won't be harassed, they will figure out real quick you aren't there looking for them. You won't be corrupted if you have a drink in their bar. Most girls are there because it is a decent paying job for them.

There are not beer bars on every street in Bangkok or Phuket. Most tend to concentrate in certain areas and those areas represent a very small part of those destinations.

You are overthinking a non-issue, concentrate your research on other aspects of Thailand.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,443 posts
179 reviews
2. Re: Traveling to Thailand as Couple

Hi Jeanne-Tienne B and welcome to Trip Advisor.

Unfortunately you seem to have come across information which has given you a false impression of both Phuket and Bangkok. Neither place is full of wall to wall bars with scantily dressed girls and there are a great many places which are more common where you wouldn’t see this at all.

You may even come across bars where, although the girls might be available if propositioned, there would be no way that you would be made aware of that.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,609 posts
169 reviews
3. Re: Traveling to Thailand as Couple

Bizarrely, this is how many people who have never been to Thailand imagine the entire country to be, every street & every bar full of girls looking for paying customers :)

Edited: 02 August 2018, 21:32
Reply to: Traveling to Thailand as Couple
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted