We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange - Notes quality?

Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Money exchange - Notes quality?

I will be taking cash with me to Thailand next week and have read online that all notes must be in very good condition or they may not be accepted? How true is this?

I have some notes that are perfect. Others that are a little grubby / well used but otherwise fine in my opinion and i have one note that has a small tear!

Am i likely to have problems exchanging these notes?

5 replies to this topic
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
1. Re: Money exchange - Notes quality?

Torn, damaged or written on are not normally accepted.

Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Money exchange - Notes quality?

Cheers

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
1 review
3. Re: Money exchange - Notes quality?

From your description only the torn one will be a problem "a little grubby" should be fine. They tend not to like writing on them though.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,447 posts
169 reviews
4. Re: Money exchange - Notes quality?

Though it is best to take bank notes in good condition, I've taken many notes that have not been newly crisp, and/or have had writing on them, and have never had one refused, even the one with a 3cm luminous yellow mark was accepted 1st time

Even with tiny tears, Thailand is not like Cambodia where they are finely inspected & instantly rejected

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,413 posts
177 reviews
5. Re: Money exchange - Notes quality?

It might depend on the individual money changer. To be on the safe side it might be best to take your torn note to the bank and ask them to change it before you go.

Reply to: Money exchange - Notes quality?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted