We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taipei 3 days?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
taipei 3 days?

Ni hao! after a round island tour of taiwan we have set aside 3 extra days to see the following; I just want to know if 3 days are needed and if these are worth seeing:

1. East taipei, Xinyl-Sogo Dept. store, taipei 101 tower, Elephant Mt,

South Taipei: Maokong teahouses. Evening: Roahe St. night market.

2. central taipei: Taipei Main station, taipei city mall, Shinkong tower and Evening: Q Mall

3. Danshui, gongming st, riverside promenade, Fishermans wharf, Yingchuan Rd Night Market, Guandu Temple .

thank you!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taipei 3 days?

Hi there, I have been to Taipei 101 and it is quite interesting to see, sometimes though the weather might not be the best to see and can get quite hazy above... we ended up going back a few times til we just decided to go up! :) The cost was 450NT (16.00 CDN). I have yet to head to Elephant Mt., but I have heard that the views are spectacular and that if you are used to a bit of a hike it shouldn't take too long to get up. Maybe 1hr - 2hr depending how many times you stop :)

Currently if you are planning to go to the Maokong teahouses by Gondola, depending on when you are going, the gondola right now is suspended and under maintenance. You can check out the site here to see if it might be running closer to when you are going. It is a great trip up though, the views are spectacular! There is also the tea houses and hiking above as well.

Taipei Main station has the underground mall with lots of souvenior shops and clothing stores, Q-Square mall is quite pricey I find, the clothes are cute and I often like to browse through the stores but never really buy anything... Maybe if you are on the blue MRT line already check out Ximending? It's one stop away and has a lot of shops as well, plus while you're there you can also check out the Red House which is right across the street when you leave via exit 6.

You can also stop by (one station after Ximen) Longshan Temple at night which is really quite beautiful :) It's one of the older temples in Taipei and definitely worth a visit.

Also you can check out Shi-da night market which you can go to instead via the green (if you are at taipei main station) heading towards Xindian. You can get off at Guting station.

Danshui is a great place to visit for the sunset! You can walk along Old Street and head to Fisherman's wharf as well. Also on the same line (red line) you could stop on the way there to Xinbeitou and visit the hot springs if you wanted to. The stop is at Beitou and you would transfer that station to Xinbeitou.. and a lot of things there are within walking distance. At night you an also hit up the Shillin night market on the way back as it is on the same line as well.

If you want more insight of some of the places I am talking about I have written up some information and sites here:

www.wallflowermemoirs.com

Happy Planning!!!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: taipei 3 days?

Taipei 101 Observation Deck admission fee: NT$400

I went up Elephant Hill just 4 months ago. The views are indeed spectacular. From Wuxing Elementary School, walk about 5 minutes to reach Lingyun Temple at Section 5 Xinyi Road, the entrance to Elephant Mountain. This is the more popular route although the climb is steep. The hike took me about 20 mins.

san francisco
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taipei 3 days?

Randi and taiwan DIY,

whew! lots of planning for me to do and I do appreciate the info from both of you. Another thing is I am trying to find at least a 4-5 star hotel near the train station but not much selection. another area? our tour offers Gala and Howard Plaza but we like a location 1) near the MRT 2) local eateries nearby .

thanks,

Ljhomer

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: taipei 3 days?

Randi,

You are right. It seems the Taipei 101 Observation Deck admission fee has increased to NT$450. I remember previously was NT$350, then NT$400, now NT$450

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taipei 3 days?

Yea, I noticed that they must've changed it recently because all of the information guides had a sticker pasted on top of the old price :)

6. Re: taipei 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:12