We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

Hi, would like to know is there any bus could i take to go from Taoyuan Airport directly to sun moon lake? Do there have any other option if there is non direct bus.

Thank you.

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,884 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

What time do you arrive??

You will have to take a bus or bus/HSR combination to Taichung.

tripadvisor.com/…14064026

Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

we will be arriving around 9.30 in the morning. So is it ok to go to sun moon lake during that day itself?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

The nearest HSR station to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (TTIA) is Taoyuan HSR Station (not in Taoyuan City). It is about 7 km away. United bus (service #705) serves this route. The bus frequency is regular. Fare: NT$30 Travel time: About 15-20 mins

United Bus: www.ubus.com.tw/onlineservice/LINEserach.asp

THSR: http://www.thsrc.com.tw

Board HSR train to Taichung HSR Station. Travel time: About 50~60 mins. Transfer to Nantou bus 南投客運 at Taichung HSR Station (高鐵台中站1樓第5出入口第3月台) direct to Sun Moon Lake. No transfer required at Puli. Fare: NT$175 Travel time: About 1 hr 20 mins ~ 1 hr 30 mins.

Nantou Bus schedule: http://www.ntbus.com.tw/032.htm

Nantou bus fares: http://www.ntbus.com.tw/989tk.htm

Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

hi tq very much you all. Help me a lot to fix the trouble. Another question, How to go from SML to taroko or hualien? we thiniking to stay a night in SML then trasfer to Hualien the next day after check out and overnight in hualien next morning go to tatoko and hualien area then back to taipei by train.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

This thread has some information on travel from Sun Moon Lake to Taroko Gorge / Hualien: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297907-i10340-k28…

Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

Hi, I think from SML to hualien will be very tiring and not good for motion sickness people like me :)

If i go from TaiChung and follow train to Hualien how long will it take? The train normally very full? Do we need to make advance booking for the train? Thank again for those who help.

Edited: 02 December 2010, 13:07
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

Board a railway train at Taichung Railway Station direct to Hualien. For more train departure schedules, transfer train at Taipei Railway Station. You have option of travel by HSR or TRA train from Taichung to Taipei.

HSR line serves the west coast of Taiwan between Kaohsiung and Taipei only. It does not serve Hualien on the eastern coast of Taiwan. Railway TRA line network runs round the island of Taiwan.

Of course, you can take a bus ride from Sun Moon Lake to Taichung Railway Station in Taichung downtown to board a direct railway train to Hualien. But this would take a much longer travelling time – longer bus ride into Taichung downtown, direct trains from Taichung to Hualien are fewer and TRA train speed (about 100 km/hr) slower than HSR trains (about 300 km/hr).

Check TRA train travelling times from Taiwan Railway Administration (TRA): www.new.twtraffic.com.tw/TWRail_EN/index.aspx

Trains are normally not full most of the time. If you are travelling during off-peak periods, there is no necessity to book or purchase TRA and HSR train tickets prior to departure date. This allows you the flexibility should you need to re-schedule your itinerary plans for whatever reasons. For off-peak periods, it is possible to purchase tickets on the day of departure just before boarding the train.

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

Today i rented a 7 seater cab from Hualien to SML it is worth the trip. I suggest for your situation you can use the car rental route but prepare for trip by taking motion sickness pill and had very light meal before trip. Tell rental car before hand to drive slower and have many break and this will help. However will need to pass peak of mountain at 3,200 m and so it will be cold at peak. The winding part is from peak to Taroke national park. There are many links for rental car. We chose the wife and husband team Tifany Zhang n Li.

Hve a gd trip. it is a 5 hr trip and for ur case could be 7 hr.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

Hi, thank you for all your feed back. I have got a solution, I booked orange Lai for 4D3N from airport-chingjin-puli-SML-taroko-hualien-taipei 9 seated bus for 26,000twd. I consider this is very perfect n convinient for us.. as we plan ourself the whole transportation fee will be around that and that we still have to catch the time n might miss any schedule time of train or bus. I will give more info abt his service after i come back fr taiwan early april. Thank you for all you guys help.

SG
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Any direct bus from Taoyuan Airport to Sun Moon Lake?

Hi,

I am arriving Taoyuan on 1230am (sat night; i.e. sunday early morning).

Can I take free go bus to TRA then transfer Nantou bus to Puli then SML?

Thanks.