We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taipei - Chiayi - Alisan - Sun moon lake - Taroko

Kuala Lumpur...
14 posts
Save Topic
Taipei - Chiayi - Alisan - Sun moon lake - Taroko

I planning my trip to Taiwan

Day 1

Arrive at 2:00 pm in CKS (Taipei)

Bus to Taipei and train to Chiayi (night)

Day 2

Go to Alisan (anyway to go for sunrise directly from Chiayi ?)

Would it be better to stay at Alisan or come back down to Chiayi?

Day 3/4

I want to Sun Moon Lake and maybe aowanda.

What is the best way to get there from Chiayi?

If I rent a car in Chiayi can I return it maybe at hualien or Taipei?

Day 5

Enroute to hualien / Taroko

Day 6

Return to Taipei

Appreciate any recommendation on car rental. As far as my research, public transport from Chiayi > SML > Hualien is not so convinient, so I plan to rent a car if possible. Appreciate any comment on the itinerary.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taipei - Chiayi - Alisan - Sun moon lake - Taroko

To catch the sunrise directly from Chia-Yi you pretty much had to leave at 2 in the morning, there are no buses at that time, so you have to drive.

Seperate pick up and return is pretty normal in Taiwan. Most car rental agencies won't have a problem with it. Easyrent is probably your best option since they don't charge extra for seperate drop-off.

It takes 6 hours to cross the central mountain range. If you leave at 9 it will be 4 by the time you arrived at Hualien (1 hour lunch break), that doesn't leave you with much time to explore Taroko national park, and I highly doubt you will have any energy left. Driving the central mountain range, with its steep grade change and winding roads, is much more taxing on your body then regular highway driving.

If you do decide to drive, I would avoid cars with less than 1300 cc displacement. If my memory serves me for every 100m increase in elevation your car's engine performance drops by approximately 3 % due to the thinner air, which means at 3000 m (highest point on the road) your car's tiny engine won't have much juice left.

Kuala Lumpur...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taipei - Chiayi - Alisan - Sun moon lake - Taroko

thanks pcheng. How long it take to drive from Chiayi to SML? I plan to stay there first before moving on to Hualien.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taipei - Chiayi - Alisan - Sun moon lake - Taroko

I would say between 2 to 2.5 hours.

4. Re: Taipei - Chiayi - Alisan - Sun moon lake - Taroko

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 08:49