We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

TRA conducts test ride of tilting trains

SMOOTH AND FAST: The Taroko Express, as the tilting trains are called, made the trip from Taipei to Hualien in under two hours instead of the normal three hours

By Shelley Shan

STAFF REPORTER, IN HUALIEN

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007, Page 4

The Taiwan Railway Administration (TRA) conducted a public test ride of its tilting trains along the North Link yesterday.

"Alright," yelled a TRA driver, as the train -- also known as Taroko Express -- pulled out of Taipei Main Station at 2pm.

The tilting train is equipped with a mechanism that allows it to counteract the centrifugal force generated when driving through curves. Rather than slowing down the train, drivers of tilting trains increase speed slightly when negotiating curves.

The train yesterday only took one hour and 55 minutes to get to Hualien. That compares with a travel time of nearly three hours for the usual express trains, known as Tzuchiang Express.

taipeitimes.com/News/…2003353205

Singapore
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

I want to book the ticket but which website?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Online booking of railway train tickets is available only from 0600 to 2100 hrs at this website: http://railway.hinet.net/etno1.htm

- Up to 14 days advance booking.

- Only your passport number is required. Select "Order Tickets Using Train No." Enter train code number;

Enter ID (alphabet + 9 digits). Take note of booking code for ticket collection or cancellation. Reservation / booking of seats only (no deposit or payment is required)

- Ticket must be collected within 2 days of booking. Present your passport and Booking Code

- Pay in person when collecting the tickets from 0730 to 2200 hrs at train station ticket counters. No service charge payable. Can also be collected at any post offices during office hours. Service charge: NT$10 for each travel trip.

Do cancel your online booking if you change your itinerary plans, as the system will remember your ID no.

If you are travelling during off-peak periods, there is no necessity to book or purchase tickets prior to departure date. This allows you the flexibility should you need to re-schedule your itinerary plans for whatever reasons.

singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Hi, I was about to reserve ticket from Taipei to Hualien, but seems not many train depart from Taipei, thinking of choosing Shulin, is this in taipei as well? Where is shulin?

singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Hi, can anyone advise me where is Shulin? went onto on line booking this morning for the train to Hualien. On my returning, I got Tze chiang express but is from Hualien to Shulin? Is shulin one of the metro station in Taipei? where is this place?

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Hi,

I think you're tricked by the origin-destination listed on the site.

Pls read Calicocat's posting dated 2:49 am, October 09, 2007:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293913-i9546-k118…

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Shulin (樹林) is in Taipei County. It is between Banciao (板橋) and Yingge (鶯歌) railway stations.

If you are heading southbound from Taipei on the railway line, Shulin is the next stop after Banciao.

Shulin is a designated origin and final destination on some railway train services. Click on the code number of train displayed in the train schedule to view the train’s designated stops along the entire route.

For location of Shulin on TRA railway map: http://johomaps.com/as/taiwan/taiwanrail.html

Please see map at bottom left side of screen.

The Taipei Metro (MRT) blue line terminates at Yongning Station, in neighboring Tucheng city (土城). The MRT line does not go to Shulin.

Singapore
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Try to book but when I enter the no correctly, it just keep popping saying

"Random Number Verification Failed !

Sorry ! The Random Number you have entered is not correct, please try again."

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Check the correctness of data you entered before clicking “Start To Order”. Read the 5 digits random number displayed on screen from left to right and enter accordingly. Press “Enter” button or click “Submit”. Just keep on trying until you see the message “Booking successfully”

Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Oh dear. I booked online and saw that I had to collect the tickets two days later (when I am still in Singapore). But when I tried to cancel using my passport number, the system tells me that the booking does not exist (even though I got a "booking successful" msg earlier).

And there does not seem to be a email address I can write to. Will they refuse to sell me the tickets when I buy them when I reach Taipei?

Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Tilting Train:The Toroko Express-2 hrs to Hualien

Oh dear. I booked online only to realise that I have to collect the train tickets before I even reach Taiwan! I can't cancel the booking because I did not record down the booking number and using my passport number doesnt help. The system tells me that the booking does not exist even though it was "successful" earlier. Will the system blacklist me and not sell me the tickets eventually? I can't find any other email address on the TRA website which I can write in to cancel the booking.

Fret. What will happen to my Hualien trip? =(