We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for September and tipping

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
189 reviews
What to pack for September and tipping

Hi,

I would be greatful if someone can give me some tips on weather 17-29 September. I will be travelling in the following areas, Katmandu, Bhaktapur, Charaudi (rafting), Pokhara, Dhampus and Sarangkot. Will I need a down jacket, will it get cool at night?

Next question is about tipping. How much in NR and who should I tip, ie. Driver from airport, driver for day, rafting staff, trekking guide and porter for 4 days. Just wanting to make sure I don't offend anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1. Re: What to pack for September and tipping

The weather will be pretty warm by the time though Night/morning at dhampus will be cold thus better to have one light jumpa with you but down jacket is not required.

Regarding of the tip is expected you could tip like 50 baks for trekking guide, 30 baks to porter for driver if you are using for couple day around 20 baks is resonable .

Nepal is beautiuful country with happy people thus you will have great trip.

enjoy your holiday

van

Edited: 28 August 2016, 10:14
M M
1 post
2. Re: What to pack for September and tipping

Hello All,

a first time traveler w/ family ( 1 child ) to nepal , planning for sept 10. will start fixing up everything from now.

any suggestions, tips , places , dos and donts , would be greatful for the helping hand.

thanks in advance :)

monem

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,198 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: What to pack for September and tipping

Hi Jacqueline

The monsoon rains are said to end in mid-September but often the rains continue later than that so there is a likelihood of rain so wet weather gear is a good idea for the trek (waterproof jacket at the least). It remains quite warm in September but it can get cool at night so a few layers might be needed at Sarangkot and Dhampus. A fleece will probably suffice and there is no need for an expedition type down jacket but a lighter weight one is a good option in terms of the weight/warmth/volume ratio compared to fleeces if going a little higher (Ghorepani/Poon Hill in 4 days?). Down jackets can be hired for about $1 per day in Pokhara.

The likes of accuweather and wunderground will have forecasts for Pokhara but probably not Sarangkot and Dhampus. These places will only be a degree or two cooler.

Tipping is not compulsory in Nepal and you are unlikely to offend anybody - if they act offended then you may be being 'worked' for more money. That said, some suggestions:

Airport driver: a taxi costs tourists more than locals pay. To Thamel, the tourist hub where there are many hotels, is likely to cost some $8 from the prepaid counter, $5 dollars finding a taxi yourself (easy, but good negotiation is required) maybe $4 outside the airport. Locals will pay $3 so in a way a tip has already been paid. I do not tip always tip drivers, it depends on how fair i think the price is and how good the service is - no tip for the driver who stopped for 10 minutes to make a call, at least he stopped though). If you do tip I suggest 50 rupees, max 100 (about a dollar). I think I would tip on the same basis for a hotel pick up.

Driver for the day: a good guide for tipping is a percentage of what you pay for the worker for the day. I do not know what a driver costs (separate from the cost of the car and fuel) but maybe $20 is a ball park figure. 10 - 15% is enough, in my view, even if it seems a small sum by 1st world standards but it goes a long way in Nepal.

Rafting guide: again, I'm not sure what you will pay for the rafting guide and assistants because it's usually mixed in with the package cost, perhaps $25 and $15 9others will know better). So, 10 to 15% which would be about 250 nd 150 NPR respectively.

Trekking staff: a typical method of tipping is one day's salary per week which is about 15% of what you pay for them. As for rafting staff what you pay is not always clear but $25 fpr the guide and $15 for the porter are common charges in the Annapurna area. For a 4 day trek this will be some 1500 NPR for the guide and 900 NPR for the porter (I tend to tip porters more than this because they live closer to the edge than guides). That said, tipping is personal matter and over the course of the trek you will get a feel for what is the right amount to tip for you.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

scoodly

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,198 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: What to pack for September and tipping

Hi monem

This article might help for a short trip:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c…

It might suggest more specific questions. I would create a new topic (click the 'ASk a Question' button on the Nepal topic list page) because your question is different to the Op's and you will probably attract more replies on a topic with an approrpiate title.

scoodly

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: What to pack for September and tipping

Thanks heaps for the detailed reply. I have enjoyed reading your responses to questions.

Edited: 28 August 2016, 16:12
Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
189 reviews
6. Re: What to pack for September and tipping

Thank you for your reply Vanderjack

Edited: 28 August 2016, 16:14
7. Re: What to pack for September and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2017, 10:47